PDA

View Full Version : For All You Nurses with WG

janNaz
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
For nurses or those in the medical field with WG, I've been wondering if you have been able to maintain your careers. Just a couple months prior to my WG diagnosis I completed prerequisites and applied for nursing school. I am currently on a wait list for the program, which has allowed me to take a break, rest and focus on recovery, but I've been contemplating if I should even continue with pursuing my dream of becoming a nurse because of how much WG has affected me and changed my life....hearing loss in one ear and slight, persistent dizziness/imbalance. I'm lucky to be headed towards remission, but I'm wondering if dealing with the stresses and demands of nursing school, and not to mention once graduating, the hard work and health risks of being a nurse, are worth the risks or if I'll even be able to handle the physical demands of the job. I appreciate any feedback of your experiences. Hope all of us weggies are taking good care and being positive as much as each of us can. :smile1:

elephant
02-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I had WG when I was around 12, but was not diagnosed until 2008 and I am 45 years old. After my kidney transplant in 1989, I decided to become a nurse. It was hard but glad I did it, then after that I got a Nutrition degree. Make sure before you start nursing school that you are well. You will be taking care of patients in nursing school, so it is stressful. Talk to your doctors about your dreams. If you think physically that you can't handle the physical side of nursing maybe pursue a Coding degree or "Coder".

janNaz
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your reply, Elephant. That is soo awesome that you pursued and accomplished your goals, I admire that. I too really want to pursue but am afraid of relapse due to stress (balancing school and family life...including 2 little girls) or exposure to other illnesses, etc. I guess I'm afraid also because I'm unsure about what to expect...with WG and nursing school. That is one thing I haven't done yet...talk to my docs about my plans, so I will definitely do so at next week's appt. I have about another 10 months on the wait list , which will help in my getting better, and I know that time will fly by, but in the meantime I would like to return to school and take a few other classes. I'm unsure as to what a "coder" is, but I will look into that as well. Again, thank you!

LisaMarie
02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I have been a nurse for over 20yrs...nut just newly dx WG...i work at a desk job doing quality because i can not do the floor ....nursing school is hard and stressful...i agree that u need to check with your doc.....i loved floor nursing...now i am lucky to stilne able to ne a home infusion nurse on occasion
. ..i really do not want to lose my skills if i can help it i can not even get cleared for BLS...

shadow
02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I work in Ophthamology. I was working whem I was diag. I have continued to work. I happen to sick less than my co-workers. I also do angiograms I'm extra carefull. Consider all the stuff you will be around. I don't work with patients that have certai n condition blood bourn or air bourn. I will not work with peds again. Good luck.

jtausan
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
I work in Dentistry and have for 20 yrs now. I was a Dental Assistant but now am an Office Manager. When I was assisting I noticed that certain cleaners, chemicals, sterializing procedures really made my condition worse. I also coughed a lot and even tho I wore a mask it was still embarrassing and uncomfortable. I then decided for my health I needed to quit assisting and go to the front desk. It was a difficult decision to make, I didn't want to be so confined to my desk but now I couldn't imagine going back to assisting because I am so much more tired etc because of the prednisone and Methatrexate, plus with the Subglottic Stenosis I just don't breath well. I hate that we have to make these changes but I am glad I am still working. I guess I should say that I am thankful that I CAN still work.
I wish you the best JanNaz, It sounds like you are really busy and doing the best to keep up with all the demands and control your WG. Good Luck!