PDA

View Full Version : Nerve damage in feet - what have you been told?

Carol
01-03-2009, 02:21 PM
As part of Wegeners I have nerve problems in my feet. It started out as very painful prickling but now after 7 months my feet feel as if they are swollen and there is a burning sensation. My doc is not sure how it will progress or has no offers of medication for me. Someone mentioned Ly... ?quite a while ago to me. Does this drug heal the nerves or is it just a temporary measure? The nerve prickling in two of my fingers has almost gone thankgoodness - that's a positive but I do get very violent nerve tingles down my arm which I rub vigourously to get it to go away. When I have a flare up - happened New Years Eve my legs get very wonky but noone seems to know why. If anyone out there has some answers or would just like to share their nerve story with me I'd love to hear from them.

Sangye
01-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Nerve symptoms could be due to a wide variety of causes. some linked to Wegs and/or the drugs, and some not. Tingles that go away with vigorous rubbing suggests that the primary culprit is the blood supply to the nerves. Rubbing would increase blood supply to the nerve and calm it down. Otherwise, rubbing would have no effect or even make the nerve pain worse.

I get pins and needles like the size of forks on my feet if I put continuous pressure on an area for a few minutes-- heels with standing, for example. I don't know why. I can live with it. Sounds like your symptoms are much more severe.

andrew
01-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Hello...
I think you're referring to is 'Lyrica'. RCossio (one of our members) has used it before with some success. Hopefully he'll spot this and will be able to give you more detail. If you search these forumsfor lyricia via the search button at the top of the page, you'll also get some more info.

RCOSSIO
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Carol,

Lyrica did the trick...now I still have on occasion some numbness and tingling on both feet, it is not as bad as when I was first diagnosed. I have been off Lyrica for 4 months now and can walk (not run) but walk with ease!

...and yes they start bothering if I walk more than 2-3 miles.

I started with Lyrica at 150mg and then it was tapered to 100mg then 50mg and finally no more (in addition to Vitamin B12 50mg)

Hopefully this helps.