PDA

View Full Version : My Cousin diagnosed with Hypereosinophilic Syndrome

Brooke
02-03-2011, 01:57 AM
My 2nd cousin on my mom's side has just been diagnosed with Hypereosinophilic Syndrome. He is in his early 20's. I am not very close to him as he lives in Wyoming. I just read on his facebook page that his doctor has diagnosed him with this, he said he will be doing 5-6 months of steroids and be checking in with his doctor each month to see how it is going. I have never heard of this before but it sounds pretty rare! Just thought I would put this on here.

elephant
02-03-2011, 04:10 AM
That is very dangerous, did they rule out other factors that are causing the acidophiles to rise? They generally try to rule out cancer, immune, infection..ect. Is he seeing a hematologist? Sorry to hear that Brooke. The prednisone will reduce the eosinphils.

Brooke
02-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Thanks Elephant, I really don't know anything about his case, I was just reading his facebook page. I might ask him about it or maybe he will post more info later. I will let you know.

Sangye
02-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Eosinophils increase due to parasites, infection or allergy. Because high levels of eosinophils are extremely damaging to the body, it has to be treated with pred, but I'd recommend he does some serious investigation of the cause as well. This doesn't come out of nowhere.

If this were me, I'd do the following:
1) Repeated tests for parasites (it often takes many to detect them). Have an Infectious Disease doc manage that aspect.
2) Check the environment for toxins-- household cleaners, carpet cleaning chemicals, household renovation (carpet, paint, varnishes, treated wood, laminates, etc), insecticides, fertilizers, preservatives in food, etc....
3) See a naturopathic physician (ND degree) to check for things MDs don't and to support the body in other ways.

Brooke
02-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks Sangye -

I will have to mention this to him via email. I believe he had it in his liver, he has had problems for a long time and they finally diagnosed him.

Sangye
02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Liver involvement suggests toxic exposure. He should clean up his diet dramatically if he eats processed foods. A naturopath can guide him on how to support liver function, too.