PDA

View Full Version : Words that helped!

drz
01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
There are some phrases that helped me deal with Wegener's disease that have stuck with me.

When I was first diagnosed and treated my outcome and survival were very uncertain. One doctor kept telling me on his daily visits, "If you aren't getting worse, you are getting better." This helped me deal with the uncertainty of whether I was getting better or worse. I believe it was medically correct because deterioration in my condition was easy to detect, but no change felt uncertain till he told me this. It also had to do with recovery is generally much slower than decline.

Several months later I was talking to a work colleague who had been diagnosed with Wegener's four years earlier. He told me when he was diagnosed his doctor told him, "If you can survive the treatment, it will get better." I had him repeat this several times to be sure I heard it right. He told me the first year or two were especially rough but things had got better for him.

I have survive the treatment so far, and things are better and I hope they will continue to get even better.

Of course one of the most significant and helpful things were the many words of concern, wishes to get well, and encouragement from family and friends.

What words have you found most helpful in dealing with Wegener's disease?

NicShaf
01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
drz, I really like what your doctor told you about getting better, that is something I will keep in mind going forward, thank you for sharing.

I haven't had any specific words that have stuck with me, but general encouragement from my friends and family...and this site...has helped a lot so far, I hope that everyone going through this has some support like that.

JanW
01-25-2011, 01:43 AM
I find it helpful that my rheumy and ENT both call me 'a healthy person' whenever I have a complaint/issue, e.g. my rheumy saying, "I want to check out your thyroid because I wouldn't expect a healthy person like you to have this blood pressure reading" or my ENT saying, "a healthy person like you will have no problem dealing with this surgery. I think this serves two purposes -- it reminds me that WG is just a part of me, and I shouldn't chalk up other potential medical issues to "well, of course I have this, I have WG" and 2. it makes them take anything that is ever wrong very seriously, because all in all, despite this disease, I am actually a healthy person.

gurinbasra
01-25-2011, 01:58 AM
When I was so very sick that I felt like I was really going to die, my daughter (then 13 yrs old) said, "Mum, it has to get worse before it gets better" - something I would always tell my kids when they were sick! It was hearing those words of hope from my child that gave me great comfort during those rock bottom days.

A few words that I always live by now are:
Nothing stays to the same forever
Take control of what you can and that's your mind - change the way you think and you can change your life!

Brooke
01-25-2011, 02:29 AM
I was crying in the doctors office at Mayo when my doctor told me it was 99% Wegener's. I had no idea what Wegener's was, my ENT at home always suspected that, but I never even researched it since everything had always come back negative. Anyways, she told me, "Why are you crying?" "This is treatable!" I guess that makes me feel better!

Sangye
01-25-2011, 03:30 AM
At my first visit with Dr Seo he said "You will be better than this. This isn't as good as it gets." It lifted my chin off the ground, where it had been dragging for 2.5 years.

When I saw him last month, I asked if he thought I had any chance of working as a chiropractor again. He said, "Not only do I think it's possible, but I look forward to that day." Dr Seo is this clinical kind of guy and I forget that he isn't just trying to get me well on paper, he's looking at me as a real person and sharing my dreams.

Like Gurinder, I remind myself that nothing lasts. If I'm doing well, I'm grateful for that because that won't last (not being negative, it's the truth about life). If I'm doing poorly, that won't last either. One of the blessings with the Wegs dog is that he changes his mind quickly. I might be in terrible pain one minute and literally the next the pain is gone. Fickle doggie. :rolleyes1:

Sangye
01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
At my first visit with Dr Seo after I listed all my symptoms he said "I believe you." Like many of us, I'd had a lot of doctors say or imply that things were all in my head. I was stunned and speechless when he said that.

freakyschizogirl
01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
I actually got teary reading your posts above. Have to agree with Sangye having someone believe is the best sort of medicine. The doctors made me feel like i was overeacting for 3 years. And that i really didnt have any point in coming back.

The worst thing i ever got told was "Wegs is like cancer, but not" - just after diagnosis at 25 years old cancer is a very scary word! And its not entirely an accurate account of what Wegs is.
The phrase i hear repeatedly is "its treatable"

The most inspirational thing came from my chest consultant after i told him about my journey to diagnosis, he said "No one cares more about your health than you. Take you life in your own hands." He also told me to keep records for everything, which is why i am in a battle with the Rheumy's sec right now for some letters!

stikker
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree that no one cares about your health more than you. You have to fight for your care. It would be very easy to fall through the cracks. You have to demand an appointment when you need it. If they don't call you back you have to be persistant. It feels like a battle and it's when you don't feel good to begin with. I was having a problem with a referral ( you can't get an appointment with DR Merkel without a referal- can't get a referal withoiut an appointmant). This went on for weeks. No one would help me. On the day I had my temperal artery biopsies I finaly broke down and cried. That was the only way I got help. I filed that away in my memory bank and I'll use that one again if I have to. I don't know how "OLD" people get throught the system. (I say OLD because I'm 50, but I'm not old yet, I just feel it sometimes)
I work at the hospital that I have my monthly lab work done. I review my own work before it is even sent on to Dr Merkel. If I don't like something I email hiim immediatly. I probably drive them crazy but in a way it makes it easier on them. They can say" we need to get you liver checked" and I can go in to the computer instantly and say I had that done 3 weeks ago and I'll fax it right over.
They also know I like to see all the numbers. I don't just want to here it was normal. High normal or low normal. I need to know! They email me all my results as soon as they have them.
They also cc me on any corespondence with my other doctors. I have a huge pile of papers but it somehow makes me feel that I have some kind of control/involvment in my care. Even if it's just an illusion, I'll take it.
It's your life and you have to fight for it! No one cares more than you!!!

Sangye
01-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm the same way about my records but at JHU you have to pay to get them and it takes weeks. I can get around it a bit by asking different docs for a copy of a CT scan or latest labs, etc but it's not nearly everything. I especially want the labs because I change supplement doses based on them. It doesn't help me if Dr Seo says my vitamin D is low. I need the exact number to know how much to take.

In general I'm not as concerned with getting every record like I used to be, because the JH docs are so thorough that I don't need to check on them.

drz
02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain! Author unknown

NicShaf
02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Well said! This very much describes dealing with WG; or any chronic illness for that matter. But it's put very nicely. Thanks for sharing.

drz
02-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Well said! This very much describes dealing with WG; or any chronic illness for that matter. But it's put very nicely. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you liked it. It is one of the phrases I keep going back to over and over to remind myself about what is important now.

drz
09-04-2011, 12:30 PM
"Faith is not about everything turning out OK;

Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

delorisdoe
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
When I was finaly diagnosed the lung doctor that diagnosed me explained what wegeners was-he sounded like an encyclopedia. He also gave me his impression of how I would look on prednisone. He puffed his cheeks out and looked like a chipmunk with cheeks full of nuts. I just sat there and listened and did not flinch or react at all. For one thing I was relieved. He had tested my anca years before and it was only slightly elevated so it was ignored. Once I started feeling bad I looked up anca and thought hmm...My symptoms became worse and more frequent yet no other doctor thought of it so I said nothing. By the time I saw him again and this was diagnosed I had already read the encyclopedia def of wegeners so that is why I had no questions. Plus he was easy on the eyes so i just kinda stared.

He left the room to do something and then popped his head back in for two seconds to say "your lucky, most of the people I meat with wegeners are in the icu and never make it out." UM okay, I think I may have flinched at that point. I laugh now when I think about it. I dont know if he thought I was terrified of the diagnosis and he was making me feel better-i was not i was relieved to be honest. Years later I looked him up on the net and found out he has been the head of icu at my treating hospital for 15 years so I guess a large portion of the patients he meets are in the icu and never make it out.

Dryhill
11-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain! Author unknown

Yes thank you for sharing that sentiment.

For me it was when my doctor said "in six months I will have you almost as well as you were two years ago". Ok so he was off by four months but I am now feeling much better and able to do more.

Al
11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain!

One of the things I love about my fellow weggies: Being able to dance in the rain on the scaffold! Anyone for a tango?

Al

Dryhill
11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Tango in Paris, Al?

Lightwarrior
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
One of the things I love about my fellow weggies: Being able to dance in the rain on the scaffold! Anyone for a tango?

Al

I don't know who said this but I love it....You may not be able to change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails.

Al
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Tango in Paris, Al?

Not ready for the finale, but....Seriously, I have been working on a stage play, partly an homage to my mother, a lifelong schoolteacher, and partly a reference to "Death and the Maiden" where the tango definitely has a starring role. You want to audition...?

Al