PDA

View Full Version : guests

stikker
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
How come there are so many "guests" on this site?? If you check it rergularly, why would you not register??
Just wondering.

pberggren1
01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I often wonder that myself. But we are a different breed. I find the regular users on here to be fairly strong people emotionally. Maybe alot of people are affraid to join.

Luce
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Sometimes its me checking the forum at work, I only log on there if I'm going to post. Maybe some members don't log in automatically, only if they want to leave a comment?

NicShaf
01-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Good point Luce, I do the same thing.

drz
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Sometimes its me checking the forum at work, I only log on there if I'm going to post. Maybe some members don't log in automatically, only if they want to leave a comment?

The one big advantage of logging in is that you can just view the new posts and jump to the first unread message in those threads. This makes it much easier to keep up as there are generally only 10-20 new posts per day. Other wise you can waste a lot of time trying to figure out what you have read or haven't read. This feature makes this site very easy to monitor. If you aren't logged in there would be no way for site to know what you read or not. You would also miss any private messages in your inbox if not logged in. On some sites you can not use the search features if you don't log in.

pberggren1
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Good info drz.

Sangye
01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I think there are a lot of reasons why people don't register. Maybe just want privacy, maybe cold feet, maybe just want to get a feel for the group first, etc... We've had a number of new members say they "lurked" for awhile before joining. I think it's great that they can do that, actually.

DEE
01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
your right Sangye my husband registered first and it took me about six months although i read the post daily , itts that thing we call denial
writing about it made it more real if you know what i mean :ohmy:

Sangye
01-23-2011, 02:32 AM
I know what you mean. I didn't lurk but I definitely had the same feelings about joining a group.

andrew
01-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I know what you mean. I didn't lurk but I definitely had the same feelings about joining a group.

Ok then here's a question for you. How do we make people feel more willing to join up?

Hammy8241
01-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Other than offering a FREE CURE for every new member,:w00t: I don’t think you can do a great deal more.

The site is welcoming, informative and easy to operate, People will visit it in a thurst for information . The answers for most are already to be seen by trawling through the mainly self-explanatory threads No need to join!. There are some duplication of threads which could be merged to keep the ship tight and information together but hey ho, nothing for nothing!

People drift away after they get the advice/knowledge they seek they or as they perceive to see themselves/WG under control – job done!

chrisTIn@
01-26-2011, 02:12 AM
I only log on there if I'm going to post.

Me too.
Can't imagine though that all the 'guests' here are members that just read, and don't log in.
Maybe they got here, searching on Google?

Sangye
01-26-2011, 03:47 AM
ROTFL I love Hammy's idea of a FREE CURE. :thumbsup::laugh:

drz
01-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Good info drz.

Phil, is that a new pix? Is it spring time in Canada already?

malin
01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
I lurked around on and off for about a year before I finally joined! Part of it was just me being too lazy and too shy to join! :p

elephant
01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
It is scarey to jump in and reveal what is going on in your life, so I understand. Some people just don't feel comfortable sharing their medical stuff. Everyone is different. I am really happy I joined and this site has really save me!

pberggren1
01-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Phil, is that a new pix? Is it spring time in Canada already?

That is an old pic from the summer of 06 or 07. I think it is from 06.

stikker
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I came in to read the posts to this thread and guess what? I was a quest. If I wasn't looking at how many quests were on I wouldn't have noticed that I was one. Too Funny!
Maybe that's why it happens. Does it automatically log you out every so often? I haven't entered my password since I joined. I just click on remember me.

I joined as soon as I found this site. I felt so relieved to have found others in the same boat with a lot of life experiences. I started posting immediately. I don't post often but I read regularly.
stikker

drz
01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I came in to read the posts to this thread and guess what? I was a quest. If I wasn't looking at how many quests were on I wouldn't have noticed that I was one. Too Funny!
Maybe that's why it happens. Does it automatically log you out every so often? I haven't entered my password since I joined. I just click on remember me.

I joined as soon as I found this site. I felt so relieved to have found others in the same boat with a lot of life experiences. I started posting immediately. I don't post often but I read regularly.
stikker

I just checked the two forums with most readers and only 10% of them were logged in as members, the rest were showing as guests. That seems to me like a really low percentage of viewers. If they are true guests I suspect they are just looking at threads that have info on a topic of interest to them so they probably don't read most of the new posts here.

Palmyra
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I wish I knew how to encourage my own daughter to join. I have tried, gently, for a couple of years. She is young, but I agree with Dee....I think denial is part of it.
But a supportive, informed community is a wonderful thing. I wish I were funny, as I enjoy the humor on this site.

elephant
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I try to be funny but I fail once in a while. You never know Palmyra, until you try. :)

drz
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM
I try to be funny but I fail once in a while. You never know Palmyra, until you try. :)

One great thing here is if your jokes fail you don't hear the loud silence or see the puzzled looks on the readers. You never know if some one else is going to find some thing funny that you really enjoyed but take a chance, some one might share your sense of humor. You can always review the ones you posted too when you need some cheering up.

Sangye
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
drz, I've seen your work and from now on you can just assume I'm cracking up laughing at your funny posts. :w00t:

I also love going back over the funny threads.

Palmyra
01-28-2011, 05:56 AM
One great thing here is if your jokes fail you don't hear the loud silence or see the puzzled looks on the readers. You never know if some one else is going to find some thing funny that you really enjoyed but take a chance, some one might share your sense of humor. You can always review the ones you posted too when you need some cheering up.

Now THAT made me laugh! And thanks for the encouragement elephant...it is so good to smile and laugh