PDA

View Full Version : Yippee for me!

ScreaminMeanie
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Saw my Rheumy today, and my blood work from yesterday was all good. Liver and kidneys perfect, inflammatory markers back down. She doesn't use ANCA as a guide for progress, so she doesn't have that checked every time. The best news is, I get to try reducing the steroids again - this time from 5 mg to 4 mg, then continue stepping down 1 mg per month. Blood work again after the first month to see if everything still looks okay.

This was the first time I'd seen her since my blood work came back not-so-good in December. Since then, I've learned a lot on this forum, and we talked about a number of things today. I am even more impressed with her now. She definitely knows what she's doing. I feel very lucky to live in such a small town and have such an experienced doc wrt WG.

One of the things we talked about is the messed up nerves in my feet and the results of the nerve study I had a couple weeks ago. She agrees that more pain, less numbness is a good sign that the nerves may be regenerating. Since my feet are no longer just numb, and I sometimes have a very "active nerve night" especially after a day I've spent a lot of time on my feet, she gave me a scrip for Neurontin. Not to use every day, just when I'm having one of those "active nerve nights." Last night I hardly slept at all because of the twitchy, painful, tingling, numb stuff going on all at the same time. We Weggies need our sleep!

I'm trying to get off the Prilosec, but it's rough. At first I stopped all together, and by the third day off it, I was eating Tums every couple of hours. So now I'm taking it only every other day, and after a week or so will try it every third day, and so on. Also backing off on the Flonase, which is something I've taken regularly for years. I have a lot of allergies (including dust and cats, both of which I have in abundance!), and I'm pretty sure it's the Flonase that has kept me from having as many sinus infections in the last few years. I do realize now (thanks, Sangye!) that it's not good to take it every day, so I'm trying to reduce my dependence on it and save it as a last resort drug instead.

Meanwhile, the Bactrim and MTX are not killing my liver, and my energy level does seem to be a bit higher than it has been the last couple of months, so I'm feeling pretty good about things at the moment. Fingers crossed it all continues to go well!

BrianR
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
This is super good. I am very happy about this. I LOVE good news!!!

Jack
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Glad to hear that you are doing so well. I like to see people posting the good news since it acts as a reminder to many that there is more to this disease than just doom and gloom. It is possible for things to get back to near normal! :thumbup:
If you have trouble with the Pred reduction, just hold the same dose for a while. You don't want to undo all the good work by pushing things too far, too fast.

Deanne Hull
01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
this is wonderful, keep up the good work

Sangye
01-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Awesome!! :thumbsup::w00t:

I agree with Jack about the pred taper. Below 5 mg you have to go at a snail's pace. A jump from 5mg to 4mg might be too much. Sometimes going to 4.5 mg for a week or two works great. You still taper 1mg per month but you don't stress your adrenals.

elephant
01-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Great news Screamin, I agree with the above statements. :)

ScreaminMeanie
01-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the advice, Jack and Sangye. I went ahead and took only 4 mg today. Tomorrow I will switch back to 4.5 and try the 1/2 mg at a time reduction instead of the 1 mg at a time.

Brooke
01-20-2011, 07:19 AM
That is great news, good for you!!

Sangye
01-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Whatever you do, make sure your doc knows what you're doing and okays it. Last year when I was tapering below 4mg Dr Seo said "Don't taper faster than 1 mg a month. Slower is fine if you want. I don't care how you do it, just don't go faster." I found that dropping by 0.5 or even 0.25mg is necessary for me to sneak by the Wegs dog.

NicShaf
01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
That is great news! I hope everything continues to go will for you!

Widthofacircle
01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Hehe. That,s a good analogy " sneak by the Wegs dog". I like that one

ScreaminMeanie
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Whatever you do, make sure your doc knows what you're doing and okays it. Last year when I was tapering below 4mg Dr Seo said "Don't taper faster than 1 mg a month. Slower is fine if you want. I don't care how you do it, just don't go faster." I found that dropping by 0.5 or even 0.25mg is necessary for me to sneak by the Wegs dog.

I must be vewwwy, vewwwy quiwet. :)

ScreaminMeanie
01-22-2011, 02:05 AM
My doc okayed me dropping the pred by 0.5 mg at a time. Wednesday, I took only 4 mg and by 1 PM was having that awful "your adrenal system is not working" feeling. Yesterday, I took 4.5 mg, and I didn't get that feeling until about 8 PM. I can live with that. Yesterday was a day off the Prilosec, too. I made it until about 7 PM without heartburn. That was the first time I'd made it past about 1 PM without heartburn. As soon as I can make it until bedtime without heartburn on the "off" day, I'll drop back to one every third day.

Haven't needed to take the Neurontin yet, but then I've been at my office job all week and haven't spent an inordinate amount of time on my feet - that usually happens on weekends.

Geoff
01-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Great to hear your news and delivered in an upbeat fashion!!

Best of luck with the taper. Keep us informed.

Sangye
01-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Awesome. :smile1:

elephant
01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Screamin, I too take nexium every three days, so far it has worked for me. Feb I will be on 4.5 mg of prednisone...dropping the dose 1/2 mg every four weeks. So hopefully in Oct, I will be off prednisone!

Sangye
01-24-2011, 03:30 AM
Wow Elephant!! I am SO happy for you. Just making it to 5mg is a huge decrease from where you began. You go, girl. :hug3:

ScreaminMeanie
01-24-2011, 03:34 AM
That's great news, elephant!!! You can do it!

ScreaminMeanie
01-24-2011, 03:42 AM
I took the Neurontin last night. I'd spent most of the day running errands and being on my feet and everything was hurting and twitchy starting a couple hours before I went to bed. So I took one to see what happened. In 20 minutes all the pain/twitchiness was gone and I slept like a baby.

The really interesting thing was, when I woke up this morning, I could feel every spot that I've ever had this WG-related nerve pain (which is basically every muscle and tendon from my armpits down, along with a couple in my elbows and wrists). It wasn't hurting like it hurt with the nerve pain, but was kind of stiff and sore like an overworked muscle. I really didn't know that so many places on my body have been affected until I felt them all at once! Now that I've gotten up and moved around, they feel fine, but what an eye-opener!

Sangye
01-24-2011, 04:11 AM
So glad the neurontin helped and that you don't need to take it all the time!

ScreaminMeanie
01-24-2011, 04:14 AM
After reading everything I could find about it online, I was actually afraid to take it. I took my phone to bed with me (which I NEVER do), in case anything untoward happened. LOL

I won't be afraid to take it anymore, but I will continue to take it sparingly.

Sangye
01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
LOL We are so alike! I've done the same thing with some of these drugs.

elephant
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Screamin glad it worked for you and you got some relief. Funny thing, I am on a new antibiotic ( prophylactic for strep) so I went to the drug store to get liquid benadryl just in case I got a allergic reaction. My daugter has strep, and my wbc was low so my primary doc put me on Suprax.

Sangye
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Elephant.... Septra is Bactrim!

elephant
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
I am losing my mind, I am on Suprax. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm on it for 7 days. Thanks Sangye for waking me up. :)

Sangye
01-25-2011, 02:50 AM
ROTFL You had me questioning my remaining neuron.

I've never even heard of Suprax. Glad you got the benadryl. That's a good thing to keep around.