PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question for the Brits

Sangye
01-17-2011, 01:42 AM
When I lived in Spain ('91-'94) I taught at a Spanish-American school with a number of British teachers. One day we were talking about washing dishes and the Brits were shocked that Americans rinse the soap off. They said they just let it drip off the dishes as they dry in the dish rack. We all thought that was well, insane, since the soap would dry on the dishes.

The next day one of the Brits told us she had gone home and licked a dry plate and there was no taste of soap. There were some "issues" between these British teachers and the American teachers that preceded our group and I've always wondered if they were telling the truth.

So Brits, tell me about your dishes! :biggrin1:

DEE
01-17-2011, 03:06 AM
rinse and drip dry ,for a short while then dry with a tea towel .......only when pots that dont go in the dishwasher OR better still get someone else to do them :thumbup:

Elena
01-17-2011, 04:35 AM
As I'm not British I suppose this question isn't for me, but I just wanted to let you know anyways: we Norwegians rinse the soap off :tongue1:

Jack
01-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Most of it goes in the dishwasher, but the hand washed stuff comes straight out of the soapy water and onto the draining rack to dry itself. No rinsing here! :w00t:
Perhaps that is why I sometimes foam at the mouth! :wink1:

Luce
01-17-2011, 06:52 AM
You Americans spend far too much time washing up - no dishwasher here and only one sink of soapy water, dishes left to drain and no soapy taste on the plates afterwards.

PS: Got my Weggie chick hoodie and am loving it!

pwc51
01-17-2011, 07:37 AM
What's washing up! I have been trying to educate my daughters in the fine art but singularly failed, largely I guess because the dishwasher does 95% of it. They will be in for a rude shock when they hit the outside world. We keep it simple - no rinsing in our household and the only foaming is the frustration of my daughters not trying!

Sangye
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
LOL I was talking about handwashing, not using a dishwasher.

But seriously, you leave the soap on the dishes? Do you do that when you bathe, too? Lather up and get out of the bath/shower?

Sangye
01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
One of your fellow Brits pm'ed me to say s/he rinses. So that makes it 2 votes for Rinse and 3 votes for No Rinse. So far. :rolleyes1:

Hammy8241
01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
No rinse here.
What makes you think we bath/shower? Thats what rain is for?

Nice to see a post which I can answer!:biggrin1:

Sangye
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
LOL 2 Votes Rinse and 4 votes No Rinse.

Jack
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I wonder if this stems from the space available in the kitchen / utility room? We have very small houses in the UK even by European standards so the washing facility for dishes is often restricted to one sink and one draining board. This makes rinsing a more difficult operation. Not sure what the standard way of doing it is (because I don't), but I would have thought that a second sink with some sort of hand held shower would be the ideal set up.

pberggren1
01-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I wonder if this stems from the space available in the kitchen / utility room? We have very small houses in the UK even by European standards so the washing facility for dishes is often restricted to one sink and one draining board. This makes rinsing a more difficult operation. Not sure what the standard way of doing it is (because I don't), but I would have thought that a second sink with some sort of hand held shower would be the ideal set up.

At our house at the farm we had big double sinks and a shower on a retractable hose.

Sangye
01-18-2011, 02:46 AM
I have one little sink and about 1 sq foot of counter space.

Jack
01-18-2011, 03:30 AM
So how do you rinse everything? It sounds like it must be a lot of effort considering that no one can tell the difference.

Sangye
01-18-2011, 07:00 AM
I don't fill the whole sink with soapy water. I fill one small pot or bowl that needs washing. I rinse under the tap in the room left in the sink. I don't use much water.

I couldn't get used to leaving my dishes all soapy. I guess if you grow up with it it's not a big deal, but to me it would be like getting out of the shower covered in soap. Bleh.

pberggren1
01-18-2011, 07:01 AM
I totally agree Sangye. I am going to have a bath this afternoon and will shower afterwards as well.

Jack
01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Washing dishes and taking a shower are two entirely different things. The soap and shampoo used in the shower are of such a quantity and consistency that they would cause a problem if left. Dish washing liquid is used in such a small quantity and is so dilute that the residue can't be detected (except in some people's minds :wink1: ). If you have a lot of washing up to do, you change the water you are using when it starts to loose its frothiness and start with the glasses , finish with the pots and pans so I don't see the cleanliness being much of an issue either. We are certainly not all falling down with terrible illnesses, just some of us!

Sangye
01-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Still, bleh. :flapper:

pberggren1
01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
You are too funny Jack. I think this topic should have been on the Funny Stuff thread.

Jack
01-18-2011, 08:50 AM
http://blogs.creativepool.co.uk/files/2010/04/tramp.gif

I see nothing wrong with it.

drz
01-18-2011, 09:30 AM
http://blogs.creativepool.co.uk/files/2010/04/tramp.gif

I see nothing wrong with it.

Is this your new avatar? Or before and after Wegener's, or impact of rough winter? (smile)

Sangye
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
LOL Jack, you are hilarious.

Jack
01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm a bit self concious about my own image these days so I've posted a picture of my wife instead! :scared:

:wink1:

malin
01-18-2011, 10:51 PM
lol!

I always rinse the dishes before drying them! But my fiance n his parents just leave them with soap-foam! Drives me crazy as I have on occasion had soap-tasting water when drinking from glasses they have washed etc....

So, to sum up, in Sweden we rinse, in the UK they don't (in my experience)! :p heheh

Sangye
01-19-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm a bit self concious about my own image these days so I've posted a picture of my wife instead! :scared:

:wink1:
You better start ducking now-- I foresee plates flying in your near future. :laugh::laugh:

Sangye
01-19-2011, 01:20 AM
lol!

I always rinse the dishes before drying them! But my fiance n his parents just leave them with soap-foam! Drives me crazy as I have on occasion had soap-tasting water when drinking from glasses they have washed etc....

So, to sum up, in Sweden we rinse, in the UK they don't (in my experience)! :p heheh
AHA! Proof that the soapy plates are...soapy. :flapper:

Sangye
01-19-2011, 01:22 AM
I lived in Ghana and even though they have inadequate water, they rinsed the soap off. So Americans and Ghanaians are both rinsers. Seems the colonies are more civilized! :w00t::ohmy:

Jack
01-19-2011, 01:26 AM
We taught you all you know. The rinsing thing was just a joke! http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/1955diesel/hysteria.gif

Sangye
01-19-2011, 01:51 AM
ROTFL!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ScreaminMeanie
01-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Maybe dishwashing detergent in the U.S. is stronger than dishwashing detergent in the U.K.! I can ALWAYS tell when dishes haven't been rinsed. :lol:

Hammy8241
01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Reasons why we don’t rinse

We’re British!
Many of us are on water meters
Washing up liquid costs so we only use the minimum
We’re British!
It looks clean so why rinse
Never thought of it
We’re ‘hard’!
There is a programme on Tv we will miss if we have to spend extra time rinsing(or the pub is about to open!)
Oh yes…. We’re british!

Reasons why Americans don’t rinse but say they do!

They use disposables!!
They have room for dishwashers
Its cheaper to eat out than cook their selves.

Sangye
01-20-2011, 01:37 AM
ROTFL You're British! :lol:

Sangye
12-21-2011, 03:45 AM
This is the thread that I was remembering this morning while washing my dishes. It was nice to come back and read through the whole thing and laugh along with Jack. I hope wherever he is right now he's laughing and eating off of clean (ie, well-rinsed) plates!

Chris G
12-21-2011, 04:23 AM
This is hilarious! I'm glad you resurrected it. I didn't see it the first time around. :w00t:

delorisdoe
12-21-2011, 04:40 AM
my favorite is that someone pmd you with there answer sangye...

delorisdoe
12-21-2011, 04:52 AM
I just read it again and it is still making me giggle. I am having a horrible day so giggles are good

pberggren1
12-21-2011, 05:53 AM
I just read it again and it is still making me giggle. I am having a horrible day so giggles are good

Are you in pain? I will pray for you.

delorisdoe
12-21-2011, 05:57 AM
I am not in pain. I think I am going CRAZY.

pberggren1
12-21-2011, 05:57 AM
I am not in pain. I think I am going CRAZY.

Just blame it on the pred. You are not crazy my dear.

Al
12-21-2011, 06:01 AM

So, Leigh, have a cookie--with a friend. I've always thought that there is more to nutrition than what is listed on the label. Consider: A Twinkie ingested furtively while you watch a television show by yourself vs. having a slice of apple pie your Mom has made, sitting around the table with everyone. Same amount of calories, sugar, fat...but which is healthier, considering the entire context? I've heard that the essential food groups are salt, sugar, caffeine, and grease. (Cookies cover at least two of these.) But this can describe pretty much any digestible. In my humble opinion, it really does mean something to add love into the mix. (Perhaps another reason, by the way, that hospital food tastes the way it does.)

Al

delorisdoe
12-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Just blame it on the pred. You are not crazy my dear.

Thank you but what pred? I am not on pred. I truly am going crazy.

Al I am surrounded by cookies and employees. I am having a mocha latte and hiding from my employees. Almost the same.

Dryhill
12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
This is the thread that I was remembering this morning while washing my dishes. It was nice to come back and read through the whole thing and laugh along with Jack. I hope wherever he is right now he's laughing and eating off of clean (ie, well-rinsed) plates!

Sorry Sangye the dishes will NOT be rinsed because Jack was English. Personally I miss having dogs they did such a good job of cleaning the plates and always got all baked-on stuff off the ovenware!

Sangye
12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
my favorite is that someone pmd you with there answer sangye...

That cracked me up, too! LOL :laugh::laugh:

maria garcia
12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't just rinse I scrub my dishes and pots. No dishwasher here.

mishb
12-21-2011, 08:34 PM
For the first 25 years of marriage I did not have a dishwasher, always washed by hand and yes, left them to dry in the rack soap and all :ohmy:

With having two children at home I always thought I could get the kids to do the dishes but they never did. Whenever I was asked if I had a dishwasher my reply would always be
"Yes, I have two of them but they are both broken" (my lovely children)

This time last year I had my kitchen renovated and we also changed all of our taps to flick taps as I could no longer turn on normal taps with my painful hands and we also got ourselves a real dishwasher (not the kids). What luxury. The girls don't live at home anymore so the need for a dishwasher for just two of us, kind of went out the door. But it is lovely. I have a choice now as to wash the dishes (and leave them to dry) or save them up for the dishwasher........oh to have choices :biggrin1:

pberggren1
12-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Leigh, we are all here if you need to talk. And you know where you can find me.

Psyborg
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you but what pred? I am not on pred. I truly am going crazy.

Al I am surrounded by cookies and employees. I am having a mocha latte and hiding from my employees. Almost the same.

You are only crazy if you start talking to the cookies and eating the employees!

Sangye
09-20-2012, 12:32 AM
This is still one of my favorite threads ever. :smile1: