PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone and the risk of Diabetes

NicShaf
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
When I started on Preds last month, my doctor mentioned that it can raise my risk of getting diabetes while on it, so I should watch my sugar intake. I'm curious, does this include artificial sweeteners like Splenda? Diabetics can replace sugar with Splenda in recipes to continue to enjoy their favorite sweet treats without causing harm to their bodies, is this the same for me on Preds? I love to bake, I find it therapeutic, and I want to satisfy my sweet tooth...a two birds with one stone kinda thing...
My doc didn't have much of an opinion on it, so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this conversation with their doc?
Thanks.

Jeff vinc
01-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Hi,
Yes prednisone cause high blood sugar, or steroid–induced diabetes. This usually resolves when the steroids are decreased or discontinued.
Splenda is sucralose and sucralose apparently does not affect blood glucose control or insulin levels.
But i guess it depends of the quantity of prednisone you are taking daily and also your weight and your health in overall.

Sangye
01-16-2011, 02:17 AM
That's true. I'm not a fan of Splenda or other artificial sweeteners, though. Can you use natural sweeteners? Stevia is a good one but there are others.

elephant
01-16-2011, 02:29 AM
My blood sugars were high on prednisone and once prednisone is reduced usually the blood sugars are in normal range. I purchased a glucometer to keep tract of my glucose levels.

ScreaminMeanie
01-16-2011, 03:14 AM
I never developed steroid induced diabetes, and I have an infamous sweet tooth. And of course the steroids make you ravenous all the time! It's a good thing to watch out for, though, especially if it runs in your family.

Sangye
01-16-2011, 03:33 AM
I had steroid-induced diabetes that was only a problem whenever I was hospitalized for the first few months after dx. I'd need insulin in the hospital, but as soon as I got home (literally by the next morning) my glucose was down to 80. Stress can raise glucose and those initial hospitalizations were incredibly stressful. It's never been a problem since, even when I had to go back on 60 mg pred last year.

vincelv
01-16-2011, 05:11 AM
sangye..mine was like that too..i tollerate pred good..but i still hate to be dependant on it..rather not be on it all together.

Sangye
01-16-2011, 05:28 AM
I don't tolerate pred well at all. I don't get the increased energy most people do, even at higher doses. It just makes me weaker.

NicShaf
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I do like the idea of a more natural sweetener, I will have to look into the Stevia and others like that.

drz
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I do like the idea of a more natural sweetener, I will have to look into the Stevia and others like that.

Agave made from cactus is market for this use and is suppose to have lower glycemic index than sugars. It tastes good.

I had diabetes for years before Wegener's disease and the prednisone sure misses up my BG levels and makes managing the diabetes very difficult.

Psyborg
01-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I have been diabetic (type 2) for several years now. Last year I had bariatric surgery and the diabetes disappeared with the weight...right til I started on the Pred :/ At any rate I started Metformin again and it seems to handle the levels just fine with Prednisone being the only major factor in the blood suger getting out of wack. As of this time my A1C levels have never been out of normal range, just my short term glucose levels. I need to start checking more regularly now that I'm down to 10mg a day of Prednisone.

Luce
01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
At my latest Renal appt last week it was noted that my glucose levels have been high on my last few blood tests due to the pred. I am waiting for my GP to send me for a fasting glucose test to confirm steroid induced diabetes, which is a bit of a bummer. My Dad, Nan and Grandad have all been diagnosed with Type 2, and being overweight I figured it was only a matter of time but thought I had another 20 years or so before having to deal with it (and hopefully in that time losing enough weight to lower my risk).

If it is confirmed we will start by trying to control it through diet, but may also end up on Metformin which would actually mean I would get all my prescriptions for free including my Wegs meds. Here the National Health Service grants free prescriptions for a handful of conditions which includes Diabetes if it needs to be controlled with medication.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome of the tests, fingers crossed eh?!

drz
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
At my latest Renal appt last week it was noted that my glucose levels have been high on my last few blood tests due to the pred. I am waiting for my GP to send me for a fasting glucose test to confirm steroid induced diabetes, which is a bit of a bummer. My Dad, Nan and Grandad have all been diagnosed with Type 2, and being overweight I figured it was only a matter of time but thought I had another 20 years or so before having to deal with it (and hopefully in that time losing enough weight to lower my risk).

If it is confirmed we will start by trying to control it through diet, but may also end up on Metformin which would actually mean I would get all my prescriptions for free including my Wegs meds. Here the National Health Service grants free prescriptions for a handful of conditions which includes Diabetes if it needs to be controlled with medication.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome of the tests, fingers crossed eh?!

I hope you don't have it. I have had diabetes for years. Only upside is that it helped prepare me for all the changes i had to accept with Wegener's disease. Metformin can work great to help control blood glucose levels but it has big risk if you ever need a CT scan cause the dye can damage your kidneys. This happened to me.