PDA

View Full Version : Feet

Deanne Hull
01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Every one, has anybody had problems with their feet, i have had two cortizone injections in each foot and now have fasicitis which is like walking on little rubber balls near arch of your foot, I have been to the foot doc and now have orthotics for my shoes and some terrific thongs ( flip flops ) called Fitflops ( as recommended by the foot doc ) which have been marvellous. Apparently they tone your legs and butt as well. We will see about that one.

And now yesterday something went ping in my left foot and then i fell over my shoes and hurt my right foot....arghhhhhhh!!!!:predrage:

Sangye
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Many times foot pain is a sign of active Wegs. If you're having fascitis you might be stressing your arch ligaments by overdoing it while on pred. That could be at the root of your injury yesterday-- rupture of a tendon or ligament.

drz
01-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Every one, has anybody had problems with their feet, i have had two cortizone injections in each foot and now have fasicitis which is like walking on little rubber balls near arch of your foot, I have been to the foot doc and now have orthotics for my shoes and some terrific thongs ( flip flops ) called Fitflops ( as recommended by the foot doc ) which have been marvellous. Apparently they tone your legs and butt as well. We will see about that one.

And now yesterday something went ping in my left foot and then i fell over my shoes and hurt my right foot....arghhhhhhh!!!!:predrage:

I had lots of feet pain till I was diagnosed and treated for Wegener's disease. Then they seemed to disappear. Before diagnosis of Wegener's I was diagnosed and treated for plantar fasciitis and stress fracture of ankle

Deanne Hull
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
thanks for that i will be finding out my latest test resulst today as i went from remission to really high markers and had a increase in the meds. The doctor thinks I was exposed to something but anyhoo hopefully they will be down now as I am feeling very good except for the feet factor..
Its so hard to stop doing stuff when you are on a high dose of preds, i feel like i am on speed sometimes...

RCOSSIO
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
When I was diagnosed with WG I had major tingling sensation, felt like a thousand hot needles torturing me...after my doc prescribed me Lyrica it went away after a month. However two and half year later my left foot after walking for awhile will start feeling numb...met with my friend who is a neurologist and he mentioned that probaly I will have nerve damage that will either heal or not. Unfortunately he did mention that some of his WG patients over a third have the same condition I do.

Oh well...there goes KickBall :(

Thakator
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Deanne,
Like many of us, I too have had troubles with the feet; considerably atrophied foot muscles resulting from peripheral neuropathy which, according to my neurologist, was in turn brought on by the Wegs. Makes walking and balancing problematic. Not as bad as the the Wegs itself though which is primarily in my lungs, but clearly not a pleasant adjunct to the main event. Good luck to you. Ron

Jack
01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I started a thread on this subject some time ago - http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/825-foot-pain.html

It seems to be one of the symptoms of Wegener's (even when otherwise in remission) that does not generally appear in the literature, but is well known by the patients.

JanW
01-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Odd how that happens but it's true -- it's probably the most usual "unusual" symptom I've seen in these parts -- but docs often don't recognize it as having to do with WG.

As for me it was a variety of pains in my feet that was diagnosed as plantar fasicitis, stress reaction and various other things that lead to the blood test which led to my diagnosis. Of all of the trouble I've had with WG, including having surgery for severely closed windpipe, nothing has been more painful, or more limiting, than my foot problems. Much better now, but not completely normal, and do to build up of scar tissue, etc, may never be completely normal.

Sangye
01-19-2011, 02:16 AM
My feet are killing me lately. Like walking or standing on marbles.

ScreaminMeanie
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
My feet are always killing me. Either actual pain, or just freaking me out by being numb or tingly or both. Or all three. It's frustrating, because the rest of me feels good enough that I'd like to get back to some cardio - I have a treadmill at home. But it's become clear that the more time I spend on my feet the worse my symptoms get. I'm afraid I'm doing further damage to the nerves, so I'm refraining from doing the cardio, which would probably benefit me in so many other ways...... :(

Sangye
01-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Can you use a reclining bicycle? It still puts some pressure on the feet but much less than a treadmill. How about swimming and/or aquatic exercise? No pressure at all!

A neurologist should be able to tell you what you can safely do. Also, a physiatrist (an MD who specializes in rehab) would definitely know how to help.

ScreaminMeanie
01-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Possibly, but I don't have one. No pool, either. And no money to join a gym!

Sangye
01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Have you looked for a pool nearby? I had no idea about the gorgeous indoor facility a mile from my house until I needed a pool and started looking! LOL

ScreaminMeanie
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Yes, there's one at the rec center, but between the cost of a membership there and the fear of infection from such a public facility, I can't convince myself to do it. I *have* been looking at real estate listings online and found a house with an indoor swimming pool that I will buy as soon as I win the lottery! ;)

Sangye
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
If it's a clean facility you should be okay. I haven't had any problems. I avoid going when school kids are there and I wear sandals. Some counties have public assistance funds for recreation centers. Your Rec Dept would know.

ScreaminMeanie
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it's not so much the pool itself that worries me as it is the locker rooms. In addition, the locker rooms seem to be the favored target for delinquents-in-training. Add to that it's ridiculously crowded, and I have absolutely no desire to go there for any reason, semi-hermit that I am. There's no public assistance, either. It's owned by the City, and they're doing their darndest to recoup their investment (I belonged for a short while when it first opened about 7 years ago - I was a City employee at that time and got a tiny discount).

I think I'll just start lying on the bed flailing my arms and legs for my cardio workout. I can bury my face in a pillow and do some therapeutic screaming at the same time. LOL

Deanne Hull
01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
thanks Jack:biggrin1: