PDA

View Full Version : Info for ER Visits

Sangye
01-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Many of us wind up in the ER with Wegs or complications. Though it's painful to read parts of it, this article gives some good info about how to (literally) come out alive.

Don't die waiting in the ER - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/13/emergency.room.ep/index.html?hpt=C2)

Jack
01-14-2011, 02:06 AM
We have a maximum waiting time of four hours, but my experience is that most get seen within two. I once had to attend on a Sunday morning and the place was empty. I was back home again with an hour. :smile1:
They operate a triage system, so the sickest get seen first and the cut fingers have to wait. Being in a wheel chair seems to help. :wink1:

Sangye
01-14-2011, 02:16 AM
JHU has terrible wait times. I've been in the ER there a handful of times and each wait was at least 5 hours. Usually I had to be admitted, but with or without an admission I never got out in less than 12 hours. They serve a huge population and have a lot of violent crime (eg gunshot wounds) to treat. I only go when I'm in horrible shape but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I know they're triaging, but sheesh.

drz
01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
JHU has terrible wait times. I've been in the ER there a handful of times and each wait was at least 5 hours. Usually I had to be admitted, but with or without an admission I never got out in less than 12 hours. They serve a huge population and have a lot of violent crime (eg gunshot wounds) to treat. I only go when I'm in horrible shape but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I know they're triaging, but sheesh.

The bigger the city, the bigger the hospital, the long the wait. We had a relative that almost died waiting in the ER of a big hospital in NYC. The one advantage of being in a rural area is waiting time is generally very low unless there has just been a terrible accident ahead of you. I think my longest wait was an almost an hour but generally it has been right away or a few minutes.

Sangye
01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
In Flagstaff (northern AZ) I never even had to wait. They knew me as a frequent flyer. I got right in and they did a great job of sequestering me from germs.

drz
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
In Flagstaff (northern AZ) I never even had to wait. They knew me as a frequent flyer. I got right in and they did a great job of sequestering me from germs.

If we got perks with our medical visits we would have some great benefits, right?