PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts

Widthofacircle
01-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Anybody develop cataracts from Pred or Deltacortril use.
I have quite bad cataracts with vision seriously impaired and am waiting to have them operated on.
Would appreciate any info anybody can offer on the operation as I am quite apprehensive about it.

Jack
01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Yes, had the operation done four times! ;)

My case was very unusual because the op is known to be very successful and reliable, it is just that I have bad luck. My first lens was faulty and had to be replaced after a couple of years. The other eye had the lens slip out of position for some reason.
Like you, I was very apprehensive and elected to go for general anesthetic, but I was talked out of it by the nurse in charge. I'm so glad that I made this choice! The op is painless and you can't see anything but a very bright light. It lasts about 20 minutes and then you can sit up and go home after a cup of coffee and a chat. Follow up is some eye drops for a couple of weeks, but you can see well the following day. As operations go, this one is a breeze. :)

elephant
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I had cataracts from the prednisone and got the surgery done sept and oct. I can see now and it is a breeze!

DEE
01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
i joined the cataracts club dec 3rd and having second eye done feb 4th cant wait .op was just like everyone on here said
nothing to be scared of . had mine done by local too,:thumbup:

Jack
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I think we all have this fear of people messing with our eyes because they are usually so sensitive, but when you take away all the pain and you can't see anything that you can make sense of there is nothing left to worry about. You just have to get your head around the idea.

Sangye
01-12-2011, 05:05 AM
I think it's probably a universal fear. I know I'd be freaked out if I had to do it, too.

Widthofacircle
01-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Phew
It,s a relief to know there is nothing to worry about.I am almost looking forward to it now as I am fed up with impaired vision.

drz
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I have wanted the operation for cataracts for several years but my vision is NOT bad enough to warrant it yet. It seems insurance requires your vision be bad enough for you to fail the vision test for driving before they will fund it. My recent eye exam last week indicated i am not likely to get the operation for at least a couple more years. My cataracts are the type from aging and not the kind you get from Prednisone. The ophthalmologist said the prednisone kind usually take longer to develop and require a higher dosage of prednisone for several years in most cases. I have heard most people have perfect vision again after the operation. That sounds cool and something to look forward to again.

Jack
01-12-2011, 09:27 PM
My cataracts were Pred induced and developed very quickly, just a year or two.
After the operation, your eyes can no longer change their focus so they try to choose lens implants that allow you to focus at long distance, but require reading glasses for close work. In my case, the choice of lens was not as good as it might have been so I wear bifocal glasses all the time. Without glasses, I am just below the level required for driving.

elephant
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I too use reading glasses, but my vision is near perfect. It took about 18 months for my cataracts to develop with the help of prednisone. :)

Widthofacircle
01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
My cataracts developed in two phases. Follwing a year of max 60mg and min 40 mg Deltacortril(Pred) my eyes were very liquidy.I knew something was going on. Following this my vision slowly got worse . From August to December last year it deteriorated much quicker with it becoming impossible to drive at night due to glare from oncoming lights and I need to wear sunglasses while driving even on a grey overcast day because of blurred vision caused by glare.

mickoko
01-15-2011, 04:54 AM
I have had my cataracts done twice now, and both times it was put down to prolonged use of steroids.