PDA

View Full Version : For those with sinus involvement...Post Nasal Drip

freakyschizogirl
01-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi all, me again.

Happy new year to all.

I've had a post nasal drip for a while with my sinus problems but the last week or two it is becoming unbareable! It is so bad in the morning my throat is filled with mucus. I dont know if it is because of the steroids working magic on my sinuses or that fact i had a coldy mucus cough two weeks ago that seems to be back for a second attack.

Any ideas or solutions? I have an appointment with ENT in feburary but dont really want to be hacking up mucus til then.

Thanks x

elephant
01-02-2011, 01:20 AM
The steriods will help with the sinuses. Can't remember, is your WG in remission? Can you see your ENT sooner? Are you doing Neil Med sinus rinses?

Sangye
01-02-2011, 03:32 AM
If you're immune-compromised it takes much longer to get over a cold. Dr Seo once told me it can drag on for a month! You just have to be careful that you don't get a super-imposed bacterial infection during that time. I don't believe in taking antibiotics "just in case," though. I have a cold hanging on--been 2 weeks now. My symptoms haven't improved for days and I have a few new symptoms (a few sweats, super tired and cough), so I started antibiotics yesterday in case it's a sneaky bacterial infection.

elephant
01-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Sangye, hope you feel better soon with the antibiotics. Keep us updated. Happy New YEar!

marta
01-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Hey Freaky,

I've been having a ton of sinus problems over the last several weeks too. I remember early on my old GP telling me to take Benydryl to help me sleep instead of sleeping aids. Well I thought about it last week and thought it might kill two birds with one stone, and indeed it has. I take the nighttime extra strength and it helps me sleep and has almost completely gotten rid of the sinus post nasal drip through the night (it's almost a strange new feeling having my sinuses all dry.) It also jives with our meds. In the daytime it's still not that great but at least it doesn't interrupt my sleep and I can blow out the excessive volume as needed.

Hope that helps. Take care of yourself.

pberggren1
01-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Nasal irrigation is a must. Somtimes I have to spend an hour in the mornings doing it.

marta
01-02-2011, 06:46 AM
I find that it only helps momentarily. The effects of irrigation aren't long lasting at all for me. A half an hour at most. I'm still doing it to clear our the crusting, but as far as getting rid of the drip or the pressure from stuffed sinuses - nada.

jtausan
01-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I used the Neilmed for years and then my ENT told me about a product that Waterpik makes. Its called Sinusense and it is like the Neilmed bottle but it takes batteries and it pulsates! It's great for the crusting. I got mine at Walgreens but I'm sure most drug stores carry it. It was pretty inexpensive and it comes with salt packets. I love it, I highly recommend it!!

Minneapolismark
01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
This problem is a real pain with my CPAP! I too take two Benadryl.

freakyschizogirl
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm still doing it to clear our the crusting, but as far as getting rid of the drip or the pressure from stuffed sinuses - nada.

Snap marta! Doesnt help at all with the sinus pressure but nice to have clear airways for a while.

I am irrigating. Its the post nasal drip that really gets me. My family wince when they hear me trying tp clear my throat. Not nice...but nothing i can do about that!
Might have to try the Benydryl. Dont have much problem sleeping but to get rid of the excess mucus through the night would be nice!!

elephant my ENT is always booked up. Cos in my opinion they never cure anyone! Always see the same people in there, tho now the receptionists and some nurses know me by name. As it was the ENT appointment was for january but has been put back. They always cancel my appointments. Consultant says it cos when they have to cancel appointments they do it willy-nilly and dont look at people's case files or why they are going for an appointment. Last time they cancelled my appointment i was ringing central appointments in tears. In the end i managed to get back my apoointment day and for an earlier time, go figure. lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think i've been working too hard lately. Need to slow down and give myself time to recover.

Sangye
01-03-2011, 01:56 AM
What an insane way to cancel appointments--without considering the patient. You might have to shake that tree to get all the nuts out.

drz
01-03-2011, 03:47 AM
I used the Neilmed for years and then my ENT told me about a product that Waterpik makes. Its called Sinusense and it is like the Neilmed bottle but it takes batteries and it pulsates! It's great for the crusting. I got mine at Walgreens but I'm sure most drug stores carry it. It was pretty inexpensive and it comes with salt packets. I love it, I highly recommend it!!

Just be sure and replace the cheap batteries that come with it. I didn't and it got all corroded up and it took awhile to get rid of the corrosion.

freakyschizogirl
01-03-2011, 05:29 AM
What an insane way to cancel appointments--without considering the patient. You might have to shake that tree to get all the nuts out.

Its because the cancellations go through central appointments and they just cancel whoever they want...but it always seems to be me!

Jack
01-03-2011, 06:05 AM
I have to say that in all these years and hundreds of appointments I think I have only had one of them cancelled and put back by a week, but this was non urgent. Freaky - the system in your area sounds very poor. You always seem to be getting bad service from your docs.

flana
01-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I feel sorry for the way you are being treated by the medical system freakyschizogirl. Have you tried another ENT? I am beginning to realize that you need to go see an ENT who has an experience with Wegies... Many ENT's have just heard about WG and perhaps studied them during their residency but nothing beyond that... I hope you get treated well for this issue soon.

- raj

freakyschizogirl
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks Jack and flana. I am seeing Addenbrooks soon. they are the big boys so i will hold on til then. The ENT round here is very poor...but a new lady has just taken over and she has been at St Thomas' so i am hoping she'll treat me better.
And i dont know why the NHS is so bad round here. Thinking maybe i should move!!

Sangye
01-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Thinking maybe i should move!!
That's exactly what I thought when I read Jack's reply last night. :wink1: