PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Clinic is opening a Vasculitis Center in January, 2011

Minneapolismark
12-31-2010, 05:54 AM
The Mayo Clinic is opening a vasculitis center in January of 2011. Dr. Ulrich Specks is on duty and seeing patients for the first two weeks to get the clinic up and running. Last week there were still openings. A visit with Dr. Specks costs about $600 according to the estimate I got from the Mayo business office.

If you are in or near Minnesota, or can get here, this might be a great opportunity to get a solid evaluation.

elephant
12-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Valuable info Mark. How are you feeling?

Sangye
12-31-2010, 06:39 AM
So up til now they haven't had a center?

Minneapolismark
12-31-2010, 06:53 AM
apparently there hasn't been a center up until now, no.

I am feeling so-so. I had my nuclear stress EKG yesterday. The vaso-dilator they gave me to push my cardiovascular system to the top of its performance limit was not a lot of fun. Suddenly I couldn't breathe, my chest felt like someone was standing on it, and my vision darkened. However, I have been having episodes like that for the past six months without the vaso-dilator, so it wasn't all that bad.

Plus, before the imaging procedure they give you Oreos to absorb the radioactive dye in your GI tract. If I get Oreos you can perform any test you like.

Good news is that my O2 sats are normal. Bad news is I've been pretty sick since the test.

Work informed me yesterday that they are no longer holding my job but want to retain me as an employee for another year. I guess they like me. It was nice of them to hold my job for so long, much longer than FMLA required. However, I don't see me getting back into a high-stress seventy-hour-a-week executive position any time soon.

so I am sitting here in my zubas and hanging out with my 15 year old son. Life could be much worse.

drz
12-31-2010, 08:30 AM
The Mayo Clinic is opening a vasculitis center in January of 2011. Dr. Ulrich Specks is on duty and seeing patients for the first two weeks to get the clinic up and running. Last week there were still openings. A visit with Dr. Specks costs about $600 according to the estimate I got from the Mayo business office.

If you are in or near Minnesota, or can get here, this might be a great opportunity to get a solid evaluation.

Is it located in regular Mayo Clinic complex or separate location?

Did change in job status create any problems with your insurance?

Minneapolismark
12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Yes, it is at the Mayo in Rochester.

No, there hasn't been an insurance problem. I am on disability. But I would call to make sure.

Note that I did not need a referral to get in.

LisaMarie
12-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Mark
Thanks for the info ...sorry to hear about your stress test...wonder which drug they gave u? there is a new one that is not so dramatic of an effect and only last 1 minute.....thanks for the info on Mayo ...may use it as a second opinion if i do not get any better soon...if insurance won't pay i can use flex dollars....but maybe blue cross blue shield will pay who knows....glad your job is keeping you around for a year maybe a consulting position will be created...i went from 36-60 hours a week floor nurse to desk job 32 hours a week quality review and at times have a hard time doing the 32 hours...so i will keep you in my prayers.....enjoy the time with your son..tey grow up soo fast have a great holiday

Minneapolismark
12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
The test was interesting. There were three people attending the test, and they had that forced humor common to the very nervous. We discussed what would happen in the case of a code blue, but they didn't think that too likely. I chose to use the bike pedals in addition to the cocktail as it shortened the test; perhaps this caused some of the discomfort.

They were pretty surprised that I stayed calm and kept pedalling even in the midst of the drug reaction.

I am sorry to hear about your decrease in hours. My disability insurance defines disability as the ability to pursue my chosen profession, and not "any job.". For is I am grateful.

Minneapolismark
12-31-2010, 11:49 AM
More information to help you pursue a visit to the Mayo Clinic's new Vasculitis Center.

(507) 266-5670 --- Patient Account Representative. Call this number to discuss payment options, estimated costs and insurance coverage.
(507) 284-2511 --- General questions. Start here to seek an appointment.

Hope this helps

jtausan
12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks Mark for the info on Mayo Rochester. I called to get an appt right after I read your post. Dr. Specks appt coordinator had left for the day so they are calling me back on Monday. I hope they still have appts. I would love to get in with Dr. Specks. Do you see him?

Thanks again, Jodi

Minneapolismark
12-31-2010, 03:15 PM
My first appointment with him is on the ninth. My info packet says to plan on anywhere from 90 minutes to three days, depending on additional tests!

I am thinking I will stay at the Kahler. Nice place, cheap, across the street, indoor walkway. Rochester is a nice city. I only live 90 minutes or so away, but we plan to make a romantic getaway out of the trip.