PDA

View Full Version : Quick Medical Question

freakyschizogirl
12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi all

Quick update from me. Rheumy says i am responding well to the drugs and my markers are improving. He is taking me down from Pred but uping the Methotrexate...only thing is he didnt tell me why. Although he said something about Prednisolone being more toxic in the long run. And thinking Methotrexate can control the WG.

And he also said that when he see's me again in 3 months he will send me back to ENT to talk nose surgery. Which is what i want and fear most in one little bundle.

Sangye
12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Sam, I'm hoping he's looking at how you're feeling as well. Just looking at labwork is not sufficient with Wegs. But assuming you truly are getting the Wegs under control, it makes sense to increase the mtx while you're decreasing the pred. I don't know if that's always done, but it might help you keep control of the Wegs if lowering pred starts to spike disease activity. Pred is definitely more dangerous the longer you're on it. He's wise to try to get you off of it, or at least to the smallest dose necessary.

How much pred are you on, and how is he tapering it? Many of the docs seem to go too quickly.

freakyschizogirl
12-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh they did it too quickly with my mum the Rheumy she saw told her to go from 10mg to 5!! I had alarm bells ringing and begged her not too. She did for 2 days...and spent them in bed!

I'm tapering down by doing 10mg one day and 7.5mg the next for a month. Then 7.5mg for a month. Seems like he's doing it slowly. And my mum is doing exactly the same...funny we are both coming down together!

Sangye
12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
That sounds like a good plan.

JanW
12-15-2010, 06:04 AM
What he is doing with the pred and mtx makes sense. One word of caution -- considering that your nose can collapse again if you flare, you should not attempt surgery until you are in complete remission (absence of any symptoms; for my particular doc also need to be fully med free for six months).

freakyschizogirl
12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah i know that Janw but thanks for reminding me. I know it wont happen for years yet. Such is the NHS lol

Jack
12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Your patient's rights under the NHS guaranty that treatment will begin within a maximum of 18 weeks or 2 weeks if cancer is suspected. (those lucky cancer patients jumping the queue again! ;) )