PDA

View Full Version : Lortab? Dehydration? Stress? Depo-Provera? Back on Bactrim?

ScreaminMeanie
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Yesterday I had to have an endometrial biopsy - postmenopausal bleeding combined with family history of uterine cancer. This was the 3rd or 4th time I had one. I checked with my rheumy before I scheduled this, and she didn't have any concerns about it, since I'm below 10 mg/day of pred, but I've been bleeding for over a month, so I didn't want to put it off. I know from past experience that it is really painful, so I asked for some pain meds for before the procedure.

Other than the excruciating pain of the biopsy process (next time I will insist on better pain control), I felt pretty good all day yesterday, before and after the procedure. I took a 10/500 Lortab an hour before, and then another one after I got home - about 2.5 hours apart. Once the grogginess wore off, I actually felt great!

In addition to the Lortab, the OB/GYN gave me a shot of Depo-Provera to help thin the endometrium and stop the bleeding. Also, today I started taking Bactrim again after being off it for two weeks. My rheumy has given me the green light to stop taking it, but I wasn't having any bad side effects from it, and as I am prone to sinus infections (non-WG-related), I just felt more comfortable continuing taking it. However, I did go off it for a couple of weeks. Once my labs came back not looking so good last week, I thought I should go back on it. Also, the possibility of getting an infection from yesterday's biopsy seemed a good enough reason to go back on it. Rheumy didn't have a problem with that.

So, after all the blathering, my point is that today I feel like absolute CRAP. I'm wondering if it is as simple as being extra-dehydrated because of the Lortab, or if the stress of the pain from the procedure has gobsmacked my adrenal system and my regular dose of pred is not enough to offset that. Or did my hiatus from Bactrim maybe give me a chance to have a negative reaction to it this time? I tried to do a little extra hydrating early in the day, and continued that into the afternoon. (Today's my MTX day, too.) Still working on that for a little longer before I go to bed.

I try not to take ibuprofen, but I usually end up taking some before bedtime because of headaches. I didn't take any the last two nights - did not want to encourage bleeding due to the biopsy the following day, and then didn't take any last night because I didn't have a headache. Today I only made it to 2PM before I had a blinding headache, so I took some then. Too many different things happening in a short period of time. Could be that all of it together was just an assault on my system, and it's letting me know about it.

(The good news is that the OB/GYN said all the tissue he harvested looked normal, and as of the today the bleeding has all but stopped!)

Any thoughts/info are welcome! Thanks for letting me whine!

elephant
12-11-2010, 06:33 PM
How is your blood pressure? High BP can cause headaches.

Sangye
12-12-2010, 02:53 AM
My guess is it was your adrenals although usually it would start to hit within a few hours of the stress, if not during. Maybe it's a combination of all of it.

Just a note about ibuprofen-- make sure you take it with a LOT of food. It can destroy the stomach lining without symptoms. Do they know what's causing the headaches?

ScreaminMeanie
12-12-2010, 03:27 AM
BP is currently fine, although I didn't think to check it yesterday while the headache was so bad (I am on BP meds, and I've been maintaining at about 115/70 for a couple years). I will try to remember to check it next time I get one of these headaches. Best guess on the cause is the MTX and/or dehydration caused by the MTX. It's such a dry climate here, and now with winter and being indoors with heat all the time, it is really hard to stay hydrated even when you're not taking a handful of meds that exacerbate it.

I'm thinking it was a combination of everything. I slept extremely well last night (very unusual for me), and so far I feel pretty good today. Muscles kind of sore all over but otherwise not bad.

elephant
12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, MYX can cause headaches. Glad you slept well.