PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism and WG: An Alert

Thakator
12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Having read many of the posts on this site and gleened much in the way of truly helpful information (thank you very much, one and all) I've yet to find any comment regarding hyperthyroidism in the WG world. That leads me to start this post - - to sound an alert that may apply only to a handful of folks who happen to have both or to their friends/family who may be hyperthyroid alone. It is about the potential side effects of using the drug propylthiouracil (PTU).

PTU is an older, somewhat standard, treatment for the hyperthyroid patient. There are newer ones, but PTU is still being prescribed by some Endocrinologists. My alert is simply this; there is a form of vasculitis that is called "PTU-Induced, Positive ANCA Vasculitis". Or it may simply go by PTU-Induced Vasculitis. While it is rarer even than WG itself, it exists. Which means to me that it might be a good idea to check this out with your WG doctor if you happen to be taking PTU for your thyroid condition; if it can induce vasculitis then it may follow that it could well exacerbate the WG part of your life. Another thing along the Weggie road.

Sangye
12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Wow, very helpful. I've never heard of that drug or the condition it can cause. Thanks for posting it!

Thakator
12-11-2010, 03:32 PM
My pleasure - - it makes me feel good to have contributed even the smallest tidbit of information to the wealth of knoweledge contained in this site, knoweledge supplied by you and so many other active users for a long time now, knoweledge that has helped newbies like me who jump right in and knoweledge which I am certain has helped and continues to help many visitors who scan the entries herein, learn from them and then go on to their battle with WG.
My pleasure, Sangye, and my humble honor if this tidbit helps but one of us or someone we love to suffer a little less.

Sangye
12-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Every member has so much to offer to the group. We all have our experience with Wegs, and we also have so many life experiences that benefit each other. I've found there's always someone with the info and support I need. I love our group. :smile1:

Jack
12-12-2010, 02:07 AM
There are a lot of very genuine people posting on this forum and even the newly diagnosed add to the overall picture with stories of their own experiences and worries. Many go on to become experts in their own right and it can be fascinating watching their progress as their knowledge and confidence increases.
I too love the group and read it every day. I wish that I was better with names so that I did not get mixed up so much! Perhaps I'd do better if we were issued with numbers instead? ;)

elephant
12-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I pick number 007! HA!!