PDA

View Full Version : Kidney biopsy

jeriorleans
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
So, A.J.'s nephologist wants to do a kidney biopsy if he continues with protein and blood in his urine. Of course I didn't ask this because I was too busy asking what happened in a biopsy... but why biopsy a kidney if you know the child already has Wegeners?

pberggren1
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM
So, A.J.'s nephologist wants to do a kidney biopsy if he continues with protein and blood in his urine. Of course I didn't ask this because I was too busy asking what happened in a biopsy... but why biopsy a kidney if you know the child already has Wegeners?

That would be my question as well. What possibly would a biopsy tell them at this point.

DEE
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I had a kidney biopsy for the same reason this year to see if affected by wg !!!!!! the answer came back no involvement but i still get protein and urine results on occasion the doc say its something they need to keep an eye on

malin
12-01-2010, 09:45 PM
When my docs were talking about possibly doing a kidney biopsy on me it was for the same reason, blood and protein in urine. However I went for an ultrasound scan first which showed absolutely nothing so they decided not to do the biopsy.
IF they had done the biopsy, the reason for it, or the reason they gave me, was so that they would know for sure if WG had affected my kidneys so that they knew wether or not to put me on stronger meds (I'm on MTX and have always been on MTX so doc's wanted to be sure they didn't change to stronger meds unless they really needed to, so to speak)

Jack
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I have had a couple of renal biopsies following diagnosis of Wegener's confirmed by sinus biopsy. I believe it is the only true way of assessing the state of the kidneys. How much scar tissue is present and how active the Wegener's may still be in this important area.

elephant
12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
I too had two biopsies of my Kidneys too. They wanted to see how much damage occured, to see where I was at.

Sangye
12-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Just because he has Wegs doesn't mean his kidneys are involved. A biopsy is necessary to prove that they are affected by Wegs and to see if something else is going on with them. If it is Wegs affecting his kidneys, his treatment would likely have to be changed, as this is considered severe activity.

jeriorleans
12-02-2010, 09:57 AM
well the doctor just called me back and said his blood and urine tests came back okay for kidney function. Still don't know why there is blood and protein in his urine. They are going to repeat the tests in 2 weeks. In the meantime, his urine is still brown and he has nausea.

Sangye
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I think there is good reason for them to do a kidney biopsy. Something is obviously wrong and the longer it goes on, the more damage it could be causing.

michael99
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
i had a kidney biopsy done and would strongly recommend AJ get one if the doctor is requesting. Renal failure can happen quick and cytoxan is one of the meds that can help if WG is confirmed in the kidneys. the operation itself is not bad at all. you only feel a little prick at most. you don't mess with the kidneys.

Jack
12-02-2010, 09:50 PM
the operation itself is not bad at all. you only feel a little prick at most.
Just to balance the picture a little - that was not my experience, it hurt! But only for a very short time.

DEE
12-02-2010, 09:57 PM
glad you tell it as it is Jack
you said the same to me before my kidney biopsy and i agree it did hurt for a short while but because i knew before hand it did not come as a shock

Geoff
12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree with you Jack, it was a bit like being kicked in the back! However when alls said and done the pain soon passed but replaced by anxiety as to whether there was any damage or extensive bleeding to the kidney.
I recall having to lie quite still in the hospital bed for about 6 hours or so.

Jack
12-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh yes, I remember that - don't get up or you might bleed to death! :w00t:
In practice, I don't think it happens that often. :smile1:
(Google says life threatening complications <0.1% which I class as insignificant)

elephant
12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
The first time I had my kidney biopsy it didn't hurt just a little pressure. The second time I had it done I it didn't hurt at all.

Sangye
12-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh yes, I remember that - don't get up or you might bleed to death! :w00t:

LOL Gotta love those hospital warnings. :laugh:

brocky99
12-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I had 2 kidney biopsies and they didnt hurt too much. I remember after my 2nd biopsy they took me back up to the ward and it was lunch time and I got steak and kidney pie and mash for my dinner lol. It is hard to eat lay flat on your back though.

talentx7
12-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Carter had a kidney and sinus biopsy to confirm WG. Funny they both came out negitive, but he definately has WG. He did have to lay flat for a few hours, but he wasn't in any pain. Although his bladder went into spasms and they had to give him meds for that??? Not sure if it was because of the biopsy or surgery in general.

jeriorleans
12-10-2010, 02:35 PM
they said they were going to put a.j. to sleep to do his biopsy. Is that normal?

drz
12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
they said they were going to put a.j. to sleep to do his biopsy. Is that normal?

Mine was done with local and mild sedative with no discomfort. I had to ask them toward the end how they were doing and they told me it was done already. I think it is important the person lie very still and not move during the procedure which might influence what type of anesthesia they use.

talentx7
12-10-2010, 03:27 PM
They put Carter to sleep.

Sangye
12-11-2010, 02:09 AM
In my morning daze I read that and thought, "Who has a pet named Carter?" :blink:

Jack
12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
I thought it was an unfortunate choice of words too.
First thing in the morning, it made me think twice. ;)