PDA

View Full Version : Where I am now (where I might end up in the future)

lawstudent2010
11-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I wrote some time ago about my disease flare-up three months ago. Now I'm off Cytoxan, almost off predinisone, on Bactrum, and started Imuran today. My doctor says I'll be taking it for a couple of years because he says it will cut down the flare rate (he got this information from a Wegener's conference he went to). But at 24, I'm worried about what this will mean for my marriage prospects, my having kids, things like that.

andrew
11-25-2010, 09:11 PM
You should get a fertility test. Cytoxan is extremely toxic and generally has a negative affect on fertility. It should mean nothing when it comes to marriage prospects, that's a completely different kettle of fish :) When you find someone and they find you, all the other 'stuff' doesn't matter. Get a fertility test first then you know what you're dealing with. I myself am completely devoid and have no kids. I don't miss what I don't have and besides if I particularly want kids around I have plenty to borrow (and give back about an hour later lol). I've found through trial and (mostly) error that there are alot of other important things in life other than getting married and having kids. Not telling you not to do it though. Anyhoo, enough of the life lessons from me :)

Seems like your health is improving. Imuran is a good maintenance drug. I was on it for...oh 5 years or so. In fact I just stopped taking it yesterday in favour of Methotrexate only because I can take Gout medication with Meth and not with Imuran. Glad to see your doc is in learning mode, many aren't.

Good to see things progressing :thumbsup:

Jack
11-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree with everything Andrew has said in the post above. Get tested and then you will know where you stand, but whichever way, it is not the end of the world! I was made infertile, but have two fantastic daughters, one by adoption and one by donor A.I. It has never occurred to me to think of them in any way other than being my own and compared to other things that have happened I don't consider it to be that important.

elephant
11-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi Lawstudent, so glady to hear you are doing good. I agree with Andrew....I met my husband 21 years ago...so he knew what I went through and we adopted too and are very happy despite my ups and downs with my health. Sometimes you don't know when you marry someone ( woman) and she might be unfertile.....it happens more than you think. You will be fine either way.