PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate and Low Blood Pressure

janNaz
11-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi. Hope this is a good day for all. I was wondering...does anyone know if low blood pressure is a side effect of methotrexate? I've been taking mtx for over 2 mos, just recently (2 wks ago) switching from pill form to self injections because of daily headaches I've been having for about 3 weeks and rheumy thinks the pills might be the cause. Now, to add to my problem, my blood pressure has been unusually low (100/55 & 100/48) these past couple of days, and I'm very concerned. Other than the headaches, which oddly enough I haven't today, I don't have any other unusual/new/different symptoms. I still have the ongoing dizziness due to the nerve damage and hearing loss in left ear, and I don't feel any dizzier..lol (I write this because nurse asked me if I was feeling dizzy). PC doc said if any other symptoms appear to head to the ER, and I also don't go in for labs until next week. :unsure:

Sangye
11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Most of the time, low blood pressure is due to dehydration or inadequate salt intake.

Jack
11-24-2010, 09:16 AM
No personal experience, but a quick Google associates Methotrexate with low blood pressure on several sites so I would guess that it is a known side effect. There should be a leaflet included with your drugs giving you all the information about them, or is that only the case over here?

Sangye
11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Aha! Jack wins the Medical Sleuth award for today. :thumbsup:

pberggren1
11-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Aha! Jack wins the Medical Sleuth award for today. :thumbsup:

Jack should get most of the awards.:thumbsup:

elephant
11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Well done Jack and JanNaz you got your answer. That's what is wonderful about us/forum!

janNaz
11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Thank you so much, everyone (Elephant, you are so right about this forum being soo wonderful). And yes, another medal for Jack! :w00t:

Jack
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
With all these medals hanging round my neck, it gives me the excuse I want for not going swimming. :thumbup:

elephant
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
LOL Jack, but your not getting off the hook that fast. I am sure the pool facilities have a special hook to hang all those metals. :)

Sangye
11-25-2010, 03:21 AM
LOL Yeah, no way Jack. Splishy-splashy! We'll even give you a Pool Medal for going (not to be confused with the Poo Medal for those with lower GI problems. :laugh:)