PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant Doctors my RANT

dunkie2202
11-23-2010, 08:14 AM
His Title....Professor of Transplant Surgery, one of the best so I was told, highly regarded by his peers.
To Me....The most rude, arrogant S.O.B that I have ever met in my life.
Picture this ( my feelings ): becoming violently ill you thought you were going to die, then having your world turned upside down when your told you have an incurable disease (WG) being put on meds that make you balloon into unbeliveable proportions and your kidneys failing adding extra kgs's of fluid everywhere. Basically feeling pretty miserable with yourself and life in general.
The Doctor's questions : Do you smoke?....... No I gave up when I was brought into hospital 16 weeks ago and I found out I had WG. ( a major feet as I had smoked for 30 yrs and quit cold turkey )
How long have you been married?...... 28 yrs why?
How big were you back then?....... size 16
Oh so you've always been big ...... I couldn't answer him
My husband jumps in...Look since she's been on these steroid tablets the weight and fluid has piled on
The Doctor....Stop making excuse's for her...She's like a brown bear
My husband confused with that comment..... what???
I replied almost in tears...A brown bear can live off its own fat without having to eat
The Doctor said... for at least six months! Well your going to have to loose 40 kg....At your size we wouldn't be able to find a vein to dialysis you and you would be dead in 6 months without it.
I replied crying: I've already had dialysis 4 times
Doctor: Oh.....well you still need to loose the wieght....I supose your looking at transplant too
I replied: Yes if and when its needed... I have 6 kidneys on offer from family
Doctor: your too big for transplant you will have to loose the weight or thats it...over
Me and my husband sat in silence and disbelief.... ( I cried )

The doctor examined both my arms looking for veins to make an access point. He wrote out a letter to the ultrasound people explaining what he wanted from them. I have an appointment on Thursday so they can map my veins .
He then started talking about the surgery I would need to have to create the fistula.
He explained about joining the artery and vein together and that fistlua would be done in 2 surgeries. Then he said " oh and when we go back in for the second surgery, your arm will be mutilated....its quite messy because we have to lift the new vein/artery to the surface.

WHAT A LOVELY BEDSIDE MANNER

The moral of this story.....No matter how bad you feel or how low you get... there is always some arse in this world to Kick you again and make you feel lower
:predrage:

pberggren1
11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I wish I was there to kick him for you dunkie.

Psyborg
11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
What a jerk...some people deserve to get popped in the mouth.

freakyschizogirl
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
The Doctor....Stop making excuse's for her...She's like a brown bear

I literally have my mouth WIDE open. How dare he!
I thought my doctors were rude but i think you may have found the biggest b*stard out there.

Chin up hun. I hope you find support and answers in your quest on here.

:thumbsup::hug1:

Jack
11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
The only really bad one I came across did not talk to patients at all and directed all his treatment using interpretation of results and Xrays. That is probably preferable to being directly insulted. Even if he did have medical concerns about weight, there are constructive ways of addressing these issues rather than alienating your patients. Perhaps he was away sick when they did that lecture.

misskay
11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
You're a better person than I am dunkie... I would have belted him!

freakyschizogirl
11-23-2010, 10:02 AM
i had a half hour rant from my chest consultant about losing weight, as i am so hideously overweight i'm tipping the axis of the world at this point.
I have never been thin and i never will be.

He even went as far as doing a cholestrol blood check. I've NEVER had weight related health problems.

Sangye
11-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Dunkie, my jaw literally dropped open and I gasped loudly.... Please do NOT let this doctor operate on you. Find someone else. Travel if you have to. Someone who treats you like this is either mentally unstable, on drugs (I'm not kidding) or just plain cruel. None of those make for a good surgeon. Anything can happen in a surgery, even a minor one. Never go under the knife with someone you don't trust when you're wide awake.

In my 20's I had several outpatient orthopedic surgeries. Each time an anaesthesiologist would come talk to me ahead of time and ask me about allergies, etc.... One time the guy who came was bright red, like a tomato. His nose was runny, and he was very agitated. He rushed through the questions and was very rude about my answers. I didn't trust him, but I was young and it was "only" the gas guy. Afterwards in the recovery room I just could not wake up no matter how hard I tried. I started vomiting and couldn't stop. I was even falling asleep while vomiting. I'd never had that kind of reaction before. Hours went by and I still couldn't wake up fully or stop vomiting. They had to keep me overnight. My mom was with me and she agreed with me that the doctor must have been on cocaine and given me too much anaesthetic.

The guy you saw might have been an excellent doctor, but he's high risk now.

renidrag
11-23-2010, 10:14 AM
There must be a Board of Registration or Overseers to report this so called Doctor to. I would not be suprised if there are already complaints against him. Patients have rights. He does not belong in the profession.
Dale

elephant
11-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree with Sangye, he sounds mentally unstable and not connected to his patients. I agree with Renidrag, need to report this. I am doublellly sure he had done this so many time's!!

JanW
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with all. He really does sound unstable and should be reported.

Lightwarrior
11-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I also agree with all. Report him and run as fast as you can to find another surgeon. DO NOT LET HIM OPERATE ON YOU. You can not trust him.

me2
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Dunkie,
I just had my Cytoxan infusion today and everyone was very nice. It just makes me sick that you were treated this way. There is no excuse good enough to cover what he said to you. I hope you can find someone better to work with. I know its not always an option. I've had to work with some jerks before too. I've been to doctors many , many times and my tolerance for that kind of behavior is less not more. I know its difficult when you are sick to stand up for yourself, sometimes impossible. I hope you have someone that can help you find someone better or get this jerk to make an appology and act like a human being.

dunkie2202
11-23-2010, 01:44 PM
I've just spoken to my Nephrologist's secretary. It turns out this jerk is the leading head honcho transplant surgeon of NSW. I have sent an email to my Neph ( who refered me to him ) about the whole consultation, including his insults. He may have earned the right to be called a professor of transplant surgery but he certainly does not have the right to degrade his patients like that.
The funny thing is before I was sick I would have been the one person that probably stood up and thumped him one.
I should have got up and walked out. I should have made a comment to his nurse/secretary ( who was also a larger girl )
does he insult you about your size like he does to his patients???
It will be interesting to see what my Neph say's about it all......Thankyou everyone for your support

coffeelover
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Please call HR and report that SOB. Never should anyone be talked to in that manner....especially a person in need of medical help. Let me at him
coffeelover

pberggren1
11-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Or you can call Batman to take care of it.:wink1:

Sangye
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I have this mental image of a bunch of pred-soaked Weggies chasing this guy through town. LOL

dunkie2202
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
bahahahahahahahahaha ROFLOL @ Sangye love that image thanks for making me laugh....

pberggren1
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I see Batman running him down in the Batmobile.:laugh::w00t:

DEE
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
What an idiot , head surgeon or not , politeness costs nothing :hug1:

gmyi
11-23-2010, 05:26 PM
May be he is a professor but he is not a human being so go far from him as pronto you can he is dangerous!!!

andrew
11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Dunkie, you (or your husband) can make an official complaint about this idiot: Complaints Against Doctors (http://www.mcnsw.org.au/index.pl?page=62)

Can't believe a doctor would treat someone like that. If you can tell me where you are I can try and get a recommendation for another doc for you.

andrew
11-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh wow, did you go to John Hunter for that appointment?

dunkie2202
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Andrew, they met us over in Dubbo. I'm about an hour away from Dubbo...four hours from Sydney in the bush lol. Thanks for the info on where to report him, I've been
searching the net on how to go about it with no luck.

andrew
11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Ahh ok I see. I have a mate with the nickname 'dubbo' :-) Let me know if you need another recommendation. I can check with my Doc who seems to know everyone between here and the North Pole.

elephant
11-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Dunkie, you will be getting a load off you once you report this Dr???? Who is not a professional!

Jaha
11-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Dunkie,

That man is what my grandpa called an educated idot!! Nobody should have to be treated in that manner and let's hope he reaps what he sews. I pray you get somebody else to do your surgery and don't feel bad about not responding at the moment to his treatment, being sick is enough of a battle and we all have to pick our battles to survive when were so sick. Good luck and prayers to you.
Jana

dunkie2202
11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys and Jana your grandpa is a wise man....that so called dr is an educated idiot... I checked out that site you recommended Andrew. It was very helpful in how to report them thanks.