PDA

View Full Version : Can our drugs and disease cause our cholestrol to climb up out of control?

LisaMarie
11-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Ok guys help a Weggie out....my cholestrol is 303 ...never been that high and my ldl 178...hdl 90 yeah that s good...triglycerides 175...but my ratio is good at 3.4...what the heck...please tell me it is a side effect and the doc won't put me on more meds!!!:crying:

/

Jack
11-17-2010, 05:14 AM
I have had a lot of kidney problems (transplant) and this resulted in high cholesterol. For many years I took statins to control the level, but I don't need them at the moment. Possibly because I don't eat! ;)

elephant
11-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Yes, LisaMarie...I have high cholesterol for 21 years , because of the kidney transplant and the medicine raise your cholesterol. I will not go on a statin at this moment, maybe later. Mine is in the 290's, that was last year. I am not overweight and exercise and it won't come down.

Jack
11-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Cardio Vascular problems are the primary cause of death amongst transplant patients so it is something you need to consider long and hard. You should of course be aware of the potential for serious side effects from statins, but these only occur in around 4% of patients and can be detected if symptoms are reported.

Sangye
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Since your triglycerides are high you need to get your blood sugar under control. No white sugar, white flour, etc.... Pred makes you crave bad food which messes up the blood sugar and causes elevated triglycerides. That's the real culprit.

LisaMarie
11-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Since your triglycerides are high you need to get your blood sugar under control. No white sugar, white flour, etc.... Pred makes you crave bad food which messes up the blood sugar and causes elevated triglycerides. That's the real culprit.

My blood sugar runs 69-90...so it is about a under control as i can get it....My A1C was 5.2.......I don't eat bread.....cake on rare occasions....i will just blame it on prednisone...lol...or the milk duds

elephant
11-18-2010, 06:48 AM
I decided against the statins for now, because of all the meds that I am. I don't need another one metabolized by my liver. I had a CT scan of my blood vessel ( heart area) and no calcium build up. I will considered it in a few years.

Sangye
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Lisa Marie, even though your glucose is within normal range right now, the other values indicate that you're heading towards dysinsulinemia. I don't remember if you have kidney involvement. If not, you need to boost your protein and good fats, and lower your carbs (especially bad carbs). Pred can certainly be contributing to it, but diet is a big player.