PDA

View Full Version : Clinics??

hilhoff
11-04-2010, 04:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me of a good clinic or somewhere to check out around the Chicago IL area.
Im completely confident in my doctor that is treating me right now, but I think I would like to check out somwhere else, just for a second opinion.
I dont plan on going to the clinic of some sort constantly, but atleast once every few months.
Help!:unsure:

hilhoff
11-04-2010, 04:22 AM
Oh and another thing i forgot to mention,
Random times throughout the day i get a weird tingling sensation in the back of my throat. It's rather annoying, and can make me sick at times from it.
Anyone else had this???:confused1:

Psyborg
11-04-2010, 04:29 AM
I would think the best clinic "Near" you is the Mayo Clinic, but that's not exactly close.

I used to get the tingling periodically, but was not sure if it was allergies or related to the Wegs. I'm new to this too, so I'm not a great source of information yet :)

hilhoff
11-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Now is mayo in minnesota? or somwhere else?
My doctor has told me that if i want i can get looked at somewhere else, and i believe that he is treating me the right way, but it would still be nice to get that second opinion.
and just to be able to check it out.
and the tingling is a pain!!
it usually happens when im hungry, but even after i eat it still happens.
being a new WG patient is a hassle.
haha.
thank youuu!

Psyborg
11-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Mayo is in Minnesota, Cleveland Clinic (where I go) is very good as well and probably roughly equal distance actually. Either one would most likely be willing to consult with your local provider to give you the care you need.

What meds are you on? Might be acid reflux causing that actually, based on happening when hungry or after eating?

julia
11-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Hillhof,

I go to northwestern med in chicago but I plan to go to cleveland clinic very soon. Treatment at Northwestern is adequete but I really want an expert in case any problems arise in the future. After I go to cleveland clinic I may transfer back to a rheumy in my area.

hilhoff
11-04-2010, 07:25 AM
i take a protonix for anything with the stomach, and it kind just started this recently. it might me from cytoxin, mepron, fosamax, not quite sure. im about 2 1/2-3 hours from Chicago, so i was thinking maybe the Ohio one or even if my family wants to take a weekend trip to the one in Minnesota.

elephant
11-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Hillhoh, I go to Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and now live in South Carolina, I drive 10 hours one way. I see Dr Carol Langford once a year and then see my local Rhuemy. She is very good. I am glad you are going to go and get checked out by a Rheumatologist that specializes in WG.
I would not go to North Western for a second opionin. Just check out the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic and go under the Vasculitis foundation to find a doctor.

pberggren1
11-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Minnesota is a beautiful state, especially around Rochester.

hilhoff
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Now isnt the centers expensive if your not covered by insurance?
Im currently under my parents insurance at the moment, and its a possibility that it will be going away.
And if that happens then i wont be able to go to either center.

julia
11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Try to go while you have insurance. You may be able to negotiate rates if you lose insurance. Many of my doctors have a fee schedule for those with insurance and those without.

hilhoff
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I would love to be able t go when we do have the insurance, but money is also an issue to get me there, and between trying to go to school, doctors appointments, and hospital visits/stays.
Its just starting to become more of a hassle more than anything. :/

chrisTIn@
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
being a new WG patient is a hassle.

It sure is! :wink1:
I hope you can make an appointment at the Mayo Clinic real soon. Try to talk it over with your parents. School is important, but taking care of the best treatment is at this point even more important!
I also hope you soon find out what the itch in your throat is all about.
:unsure:

elephant
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Hillhoff don't worry about that, if your covered by your parents now, just get to Mayo or Cleveland Clinic. If your a student you can be covered by your school.

Doug
11-09-2010, 01:04 AM
hilhoff ~ here's a place to start your search (perhaps it's been been put up for you elsewhere- anyway....) :

Front Page | Vasculitis Foundation (http://vasculitisfoundation.org/)

http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/node/44 (consultants)

You'll find doctors listed on this website your doctor can consult with (these are nationally and internationally-acclaimed experts) and places like the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and the Clevelane Clinic (with addresses, contact information).