PDA

View Full Version : 10 Uses for Your Body After You Die

Sangye
10-29-2010, 03:14 AM
This was a pretty interesting article. I don't remember the thread where we were discussing donating organs, etc...

Ten uses for your body after you die - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/28/body.after.you.die/index.html?hpt=T2)

freakyschizogirl
10-29-2010, 03:58 AM
When i read the title of this thread i thought it was gonna be another joke one...Especially after it was mentioned on another thread that death was "an event".

Thanks for posting this Sangye. I dunno about the rest of you but having a donor card or giving blood was always something i was going to do. Now i kinda feel cheated that i cant donate blood and due to Wegs and the drugs we use they probably wouldnt want our organs either.

Nice to know we can still help out the medical profession when we die. I have to say for the me the only option that i would go for would be number 10 on that list. But thats personal choice i suppose...

Would be nice to leave our mark and help out the people yet to be diagnosed.

Jack
10-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I looked into donating my body and the main requirement is that you make all the arrangements before you die. Just putting it in your will or something is far from sufficient.

Sangye
10-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Unbelievable coincidence-- In Arizona when you get your driver's license you can indicate if you want to donate your organs. Yesterday I got a letter from Arizona reminding me I had chosento donate my organs way back in 1998, when I got my driver's license there. (AZ issues licenses for 25 yrs!) I had totally forgotten about it. That decision was made long before I became a Buddhist. Buddhists make varying decisions about organ donation, but in general we choose to keep the body intact and untouched before it's cremated. I won't explain why here, since it's a religious belief that may upset others. You can PM me if you're interested. Needless to say, I was very glad to get this letter out of nowhere so I could change it!

elephant
10-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Wow 25 years, That is crazy!

Jack
10-30-2010, 02:05 AM
I would be long dead by now if it was not for an organ donor. I was not doing too well on dialysis.

misskay
10-30-2010, 06:02 AM
There are 3 children who got another chance at life because I chose to donate my daughters' organs when she passed away almost 20 years ago. I've always marked 'Organ Donor' on my DL... until now.

elephant
10-30-2010, 09:00 AM
That is a wonderful gift to give. My brother gave me a kidney and if he didn't I would have to be on the list, but I was a train wreck too and probably would not do well on dialysis either.

drz
11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
There are 3 children who got another chance at life because I chose to donate my daughters' organs when she passed away almost 20 years ago. I've always marked 'Organ Donor' on my DL... until now.

When I was at the hospital for treatment for Wegener's disease I bought a cap that says "Organ Donation--The ultimate recycling"

I had many people comment on the cap and ask me if I was an organ donor or recipient. At least we can advertise and encourage others to be donors.

jola57
11-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Religious and personal beliefs stop people from being donors. Only by facing death do we understand that beliefs are open to interpretation but we only have one, slim, time of the essence, chance to donate and have the power to grant, life, sight and many other wonderful and powerful gifts. Many times that realization comes to late since we may no longer be acceptable as donors or the viable time has passed because of indecission.

Sangye
11-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Buddhists contemplate death on a daily basis, to a degree that makes most non-Buddhists very uncomfortable. While we'd naturally be attracted to donate organs to benefit a few others, what can be accomplished at the time of death if the body is undisturbed will benefit countless beings.

I think there are valid reasons for people who don't wish to donate their organs, regardless of religion, and I don't think it's beneficial for us to judge them for it.

pberggren1
11-02-2010, 02:04 AM
I agree with you Sangye. I also contemplate death several times a day. I believe this is a healthy practice.