PDA

View Full Version : Your health advocate

gwenllian111
10-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi

When you go to hospital appointments or are in hospital as in patient - do you have a health advocate, ie. family member or friend?

My dad is mine. He is great. I don't know what i'd do without him. He's saved my life a few times.

The first time I had very severe WG, the doctors didn't know what was wrong with me. I was in ITC, and my dad was on the phone to doctors all over the world trying to get help. Luckily, they considered WG in time but my dad has always been there for me ever since.

When i've been in hospital poorly, he's stayed with me, he arranges meetings with doctors, and really gets things going. As a teenager I hated my 'interferance' but now I don't know what i'd do without their help!

Who is your health advocate?

elephant
10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
My husband stays with me usually, but even when I am feeling like crap ...I stay on top of the docs and nurses!

Doug
10-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Gad! How much more help could a person hope for? Gwen and elephant, what wonderful support your family gave! It makes all the difference having that advocate doing the footwork because most of us don't go into hospital with access to the internet, for example, or have the energy to do what Gwen's father did for her. (What a hero, my friend! What a hero! Same for your husband, elephant!)

misskay
10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
My husband is also there for me... he stays the night at the hospital when I'm there. Gave the nurses a fit when I was in ICU and he could only visit twice a day for 10 minutes. He slept on the coucjh in the hallway outside ICU in case I needed him. He drives me to every dr appt and writes everything down because my mind and memory are shot. He also pretty much waits on me hand and foot when I need it, does 90% of the housework and laundry (cooking and dishes included) and has never complained about the fact that I haven't been able to work since Feb, even though he had to sell his truck to make ends meet...
He's also my biggest cheerleader when I'm feeling decent, and my rock when I'm not... don't know what I'd do without him...

pberggren1
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Well, I have always been well enough to handle all my own appointments and hospital stays since I was first dx back in 03. What I mean by well enough is I can keep everything straight in my head, but I do take my notes, questions, and journal with me just to make sure that I don't forget anything.

My Dad usually drives me to my out of town appointments and sometimes even drives me to my in town appointments as of late. I just can't handle the long drives anymore. Mom and Dad are always concerned for me but just are not able to handle the Wegs information overload. I found I had no choice when I was dx to do research on Wegs and become informed.

I am glad you have your Dad Gwen and your husband Elephant. Family can make a huge difference in coping with this disease.

Sangye
10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm my own advocate. My friends wouldn't know where to begin. It helps being a doctor--I don't need a translator!

pberggren1
10-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Sangye, how many years does in take to become a Chiropracter?

Sangye
10-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Most states require a Bachelor's degree first. You need a lot of prerequisites--basically the same as for medical school (college level chemistry, biology, math, etc...). Chiropractic school is about 4 years depending on the program. The last year is internship. Some people do extra certifications while in school or upon completing it. While you're in school you take the different parts of the National Board exams so that when you finish you can apply for licensing in individual states. Each state has its rules. Some have their own in-depth exams in lieu of National Boards, but the trend is to use the Boards.

I already had a Bachelor's in Biology, so I was admitted directly. My school ran in trimesters and we finished in just under 4 years--no summers off! I did my extra certifications before graduating.

Jack
10-25-2010, 02:22 AM
I have always gone on my own until recently when I could not manage. It was my idea of trying not to disrupt everyone else's life, but of course it is a wasted cause.

chrisTIn@
10-25-2010, 06:18 AM
I am my own advocate too, but my hubby and some friends are a great help, also reading on this forum about all of you guys, and how you manage, is supporting to me.
:smile1:

Geoff
10-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I have always gone on my own until recently when I could not manage. It was my idea of trying not to disrupt everyone else's life, but of course it is a wasted cause.

So true Jack, if there is one thing that comes thru time and time again its this sentiment.
We do all seem to 'give it a go' and try to live our lives as best we can.

jola57
10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I am my own advocate, no one know me more than me.

Brooke
10-27-2010, 06:15 AM
My dad, mom, and husband are my advocates :biggrin1: