PDA

View Full Version : Losing toe nails.

drz
10-21-2010, 08:03 PM
The toe nails on my big toes are dying and coming loose. Can this be related Wegener's disease or side effect of treatment? I am currently on 12.5 mg of prednisone and have been tapering down from 70 mg over the past couple months. I am still on Cytoxan and have been for six months. current dosage is 75-100 mgs day with dosage alternating each day.

I have neuropathy from diabetes and some problems with toe nails were present before diagnosis of Wegener's. The nails look discolored from a fungus but treatment prescribed by podiatrist didn't help any. They feel sensitive like an ingrown toe nail but a pedicure to trim nails and remove growth under nails didn't help relieve discomfort.

Jack
10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
The treatment for Wegener's leaves us very open to fungal infections. Coincidentally, one of my smaller toe nails became infected a few weeks ago (not something I have ever had before) and fell off. There must be a lot of it about! ;)

I believe that treatment can take up to 6 months to work so I must do something about it soon.

Col 23
10-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi drz
I have had this for some time and also on one thumb and occassionally on a finger. I was checked for fungus and infection , none present. The nail lifts from the bed and goes black. The only products that have worked are diluted tee tree oil and Lozerol from the Pharmacy. An anti fungal treatment for ringworm also works. It is a very tedious thing to get rid of and you must reat it every day and keep your nails short. It cvan take up to six months with regular treatment to get rid of it. At the moment I have it on one thumb. I was also advised to avoid putting your hands in water as much as possible. Hope this is helpful.
cheers Col 23

misskay
10-21-2010, 11:46 PM
drz, I get the same thing. In my case it's caused by Vasculitis in the fingers and toes due to the small blood vessells not getting enough blood and oxygen. Very painful, very prone to infection. Keeping them warm helps with the discomfort. No way to cure them, but if you get open sores be careful to keep them clean and dry...

elephant
10-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Diabetis as you know are prone to severe infections of the feet. You don't want any toes amputated, so make sure your podiatrist looks at your feet regularly. Always check your feet to make sure there are no cuts. Sometimes Diabetics can't feel if they stubbed or cut their foot.
Misskay is right.

Sangye
10-22-2010, 01:48 AM
drz--The others gave good advice. I'll add that this isn't a side effect of pred or ctx. I'm wondering if you have vasculitis affecting your toes but can't feel it due to diabetic neuropathy. Definitely a question for your Wegs doc.

drz
10-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi drz
I have had this for some time and also on one thumb and occassionally on a finger. I was checked for fungus and infection , none present. The nail lifts from the bed and goes black. The only products that have worked are diluted tee tree oil and Lozerol from the Pharmacy. An anti fungal treatment for ringworm also works. It is a very tedious thing to get rid of and you must reat it every day and keep your nails short. It cvan take up to six months with regular treatment to get rid of it. At the moment I have it on one thumb. I was also advised to avoid putting your hands in water as much as possible. Hope this is helpful.
cheers Col 23
If no infection or fungus was present why does an antifungal treatment for ringworm help. I learned about several home remedies to treat fungus infections like soaking in vinegar diluted with water, Listerine, and even dark beer with some extra ingredients. but all require soaking twice a day for many months.

Hope can one tell difference between fungus infection and vasculitis in toes?

elephant
10-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I would say a WG doc,Podiatrist, Vascular surgeon who has seen many of these cases.

jola57
10-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I lost two nails in as many years. There is no fungus, just separation from nail bed and when bumped, they just fell off. No pain because of my neuropathy (at least it was good for this)
they are growing back but both have huge half moons by the nail bed almost to the end of the nail, so I am not holding my breath that they will stay on.

Doug
10-28-2010, 05:38 AM
I've not suffered finger- or toenail loss, but the quality of my fingernails, toenails is different. The fingernails in particular are thinner, more brittle, with crosswise ridges and indentations. They look like a record of my health, which may be true, and may be frightening! Anyone know about these things? Sangye?

Sangye
10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
They are a record of your health--mostly in the past couple months. Thin, brittle and lengthwise lines signify adrenal depletion. Crosswise ridges and indentations usually indicate an infection or blow to your health in the past few weeks. Nails are one of the things a holistic doc will examine, since they give a lot of useful info.

elephant
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
The nails are like hair. Give you lots of info. My nails have all the above. I'm a mess! I am taking a ton of medicine too!

pberggren1
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
They are a record of your health--mostly in the past couple months. Thin, brittle and lengthwise lines signify adrenal depletion. Crosswise ridges and indentations usually indicate an infection or blow to your health in the past few weeks. Nails are one of the things a holistic doc will examine, since they give a lot of useful info.

Thanks Sangye, I did not know this.

jola57
10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Phil think of our nails like the rings of a tree or layers of earth.

Jack
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
My nails are in pretty good shape. I must be cured! :)

Doug
10-29-2010, 12:52 AM

Yikes! The infections I can account for, the adrenals, not... Thanks, Sangye! I need to get past the insurance issue and make an appointment. (I got the rejection letter yesterday, and they are processing the CHIP "screw you" insurance business now. God Bless Amerika!)

Sangye
10-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Doug, the adrenal damage is most likely a result of your time on pred. Infections stress the adrenals, too.