PDA

View Full Version : How have others found Lyrica (Pregalbin) - does it Heal or just take away the pain

Carol
10-12-2010, 10:24 PM
The nerve damage in my feet seemed to have stopped improving and have recently felt numb on the ball of my foot. Can you tell me if Lyrica actually healed your nerve damage or just took away the pain. the side effects look risky too. what are your thoughts please Regards Carol Australia

Sangye
10-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't have personal experience taking Lyrica, but I can tell you that no drug can heal nerve damage. They only mask the symptoms. Lyrica is a famously risky drug and you should use it with caution only when the benefits outweigh the risks. Have you asked your doc for alternatives? Many times there are drugs that have been around a long time that work just as well or better.

I can't remember, but I think I suggested B vitamins to you once. If I did, how did that work out?

misskay
10-13-2010, 02:49 AM
I was on lyrica for several years pre WG DX... they actually put me on it to see if it would stop the seizures I was having due to nerve damage during cervical spine surgery... not what the drug is designed for, but it worked like a charm. *shrug* I never had any ill effects from it. No side efffects at all as I remember.

They took me off it in the hospital to see if I could get along without it and I did, and continue to do so... but as has been said, it only masks the nerve pain and response... doesn't 'cure' anything.

jola57
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Carol, i am seeing an orthoped on 26th to see if anything can be done with my left foot ankle pain. I did some research on Lyrica and would not take it. The side effects long term scare me and i'd rather use the cane for life than subject myself to more body harmful chemicals. but that's just me. Have you seen an orthopedic (foot) doctor and surgeon?

Carol
10-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi Sanje
Yes I tried Nerve Support Formula which is 1000mg Methylcobalamin B - 12 with Thiamine 103mg. I ordered it through USA because it was not available in Australia. I do think it helped and have just started it again after about 3 months off it. I have just come off Prednisolone so I think that is probaly making them worse. I have put my name down at the local Pharmacy - they are offering 1 week free trial of a Circulation Booster which has foot pads which provide an electrical pulse. My mum has rheumatoid arthritis leg ulcers so we think it might help to boost the healing of them. It seems that alot of people have no side effects with Lyrica but it sounds scarey when you read up on it.

Sangye
10-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Carol, I hope the B's help again. I just did the same thing-- stopped taking a supplement for 3 months that had helped me a lot. D'oh! :razz::rolleyes1: