PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

Jack
11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Has anyone here tried to obtain travel insurance? I have, but have now given up because it seems that I have two problems. Firstly, I need to declare my full medical history. After all these years, I stand no chance and my hospital records run to several volumes! Secondly, I can get insurance that does not cover existing conditions, but the systemic nature of Wegener's means that almost anything I get could be connected to it.

andrew
11-20-2008, 06:09 AM
I haven't tried myself but doesn't travel insurance cover other things than health e.g. compnsation for lost luggage, emergency accomodation etc etc. It has been almost 20 years since I needed it though so I could be a little rusty!!

I tried getting income protection insurance after I was diagnosed and got a big 'no' from the obviously medically qualified salesman :D I reckon I could beat him in a fight too :p

It's an intereting question because I may have to go overseas next year (PNG, and NZ for starters). I hadn't thought of Travel Insurance hassles but considering your post I think I'll start investigating.

Sorry...I just read this post and it has absolutely nothing of benefit for you!

Jack
11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Well, from my point of view, I could quite happily travel within Europe without insurance. My house contents insurance would cover my possessions and health service cover is available to me in EU countries. The risk would be if I were not fit enough to travel at the time booked or if I needed to be repatriated should I be taken ill while abroad. My wife considers the last one to be too much of a risk and doesn't want me to travel. The result is that we have a family holiday in England, but my wife and children then usually visit friends who live in Greece.

jola57
11-21-2008, 06:05 PM
As I'm going on a holiday in couple of weeks I am hoping to get insurance tomorrow. Will let you know how I fared.

heather
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Has anyone here tried to obtain travel insurance? I have, but have now given up because it seems that I have two problems. Firstly, I need to declare my full medical history. After all these years, I stand no chance and my hospital records run to several volumes! Secondly, I can get insurance that does not cover existing conditions, but the systemic nature of Wegener's means that almost anything I get could be connected to it.
Hello, I know this may be a little late but I've just managed to get a years travel insurance, that covers Wegener's, for £220. Travel Insurance | Cheap Holiday Insurance | Columbus Direct (http://www.columbusdirect.com)

Jack
09-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Too late now I'm afraid. I've not had a good year since making the first post and now I'm not well enough to travel anymore. :(

Sangye
09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
I didn't even notice that post was from last year! I thought, "Wow, Jack must be feeling a lot better today, to be thinking of travel." I hope you do get well enough to travel again. I can't travel either, but I don't have anywhere to go anyway. It must be a lot harder for you watching your family leaving for vacation. :(