PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Effects of Our Drugs

Sangye
10-02-2010, 03:02 AM
We all know what pred does to our cognitive abilities, but this study shows that chemo causes actual brain changes that result in diminished cognitive abilities. Though it studied chemo at levels used for breast cancer, personally I believe the levels we take can do damage as well.

Chemotherapy alters brain tissue in breast cancer patients, researchers find (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100929123634.htm)

pberggren1
10-02-2010, 04:28 AM
We all know what pred does to our cognitive abilities, but this study shows that chemo causes actual brain changes that result in diminished cognitive abilities. Though it studied chemo at levels used for breast cancer, personally I believe the levels we take can do damage as well.

Chemotherapy alters brain tissue in breast cancer patients, researchers find (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100929123634.htm)

Again, I agree with you on this one as well Sangye.

I know that sometimes I want to go for a long walk or a drive but decide not to because I don't feel confident in my ability to react quickly.

I also decided to get the flu shot this year based on my lung infection. My doc said it might be a good idea with the involvement I have now, but that it is totally up to me and he respects my decision.

Jack
10-02-2010, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure that I want to hear about any more new problems. 618

Sangye
10-02-2010, 07:41 AM
LOL-- I don't think you need to worry about this one, Jack. Not only has it been a couple decades since you've had ctx, but you're a pretty sharp guy. I don't think cognitive loss applies to you. But I do like the angry little smiley guy. I thought those were wings at first.... I do have cognitive issues....

elephant
10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
ROTFL, Sangye you amaze me...to me you don't have any cognitive issues....You and Jack are sharpies!

Sangye
10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
No, I'm serious. Even in person I camouflage it a lot. I know what's going on (and what's not) in my head. It's troubling. It takes me forever to write posts on here sometimes. Anything that involves a lot of thinking.... :unsure:

pberggren1
10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
No, I'm serious. Even in person I camouflage it a lot. I know what's going on (and what's not) in my head. It's troubling. It takes me forever to write posts on here sometimes. Anything that involves a lot of thinking.... :unsure:

I especially know what you mean about a lot of thinking. If I forget to write something down, then I will most likely forget it totally.

elephant
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Me too Phil, I have to do something right away or I will forget. Sangye I know a real good doctor ( not my doc anymore), he took his time...thought things out and then replied. He was the one who diagnosed me.

MCC
10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
What's the difference in dose of chemotherapy given to us and to cancer patients? I figured it must be significantly lower because it seems people with cancer get very very sick after chemotherapy. I had it IV every 2-3 weeks. For me personally I was fine, back in work in the afternoon.

Sangye
10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't know how accurate it is, but my first (lousy) rheumy said it was about 1/3 the dose of cancer chemo. That was for oral ctx. Imuran and mtx are WAY lower, since they're used for years at a time. Imuran for cancer treatments is a very old chemo and a famously harsh one, according to the Mayo rheumy I saw.