PDA

View Full Version : are we able to take cold/flu meds

marta
09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
I've been wondering this for a while, but now I think I really need the answer. I think I might have picked up a bug from my daughter - super sore throat today - and am wondering if it gets any worse if I can take something to aleviate the symptoms - Nyquil, etc. Have you heard of any contradictions with our special cocktail? Thanks y'all.

Jack
09-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Your pharmasist will be the best person to advise you. I know that mine does not like me to take cough medications.

misskay
09-30-2010, 01:45 AM
I've been wondering the same thing marta. Asked my PCP on Monday if I could get the flu shot this year, he had no clue if there were contraindications with all the meds and advised me to ask my Rhumey. See him next week, and I'll try and get an answer.

RCOSSIO
09-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Great question....I ask my Rheumy once if I could take Zyrtec for some allergies I was having he said yes. Then I thought maybe it wasn't allergy and it was WG creeping up my sinuses. Anyway I did take the Zyrtec and it helped substantially.

I am not recommending that you do it...but there is a website such as CVS that can help you map drug interactions and their side effects

marta
09-30-2010, 01:53 AM
I've been wondering the same thing marta. Asked my PCP on Monday if I could get the flu shot this year, he had no clue if there were contraindications with all the meds and advised me to ask my Rhumey. See him next week, and I'll try and get an answer.

Hey Miskey, I've been advised to get every flu shot that comes out. The only vaccinations we can't get are the live vaccines. We can't handle those, but I'm on the list for flu shots - they will just call me in when the next batch comes in.

Thanks Jack, I thought that might be the best course of action, but you guys are my first 'go to' as you're the best Weg experts on this planet.

Thanks Rcossio, I was actually told by my doc to take Benydril (antihistemine - sp?) to help with the sleep issue, so I figured that, that aspect of the med is fine, but maybe there's other stuff in there that might not work - and Jack mentions the cough med, so I'll double check.

Gracias Amigos.

Jack
09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
I have flu shots every year and have not had a problem. It is around this time of year that this question always comes up. :wink1:

freakyschizogirl
09-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Are wegs patients entitled to flu shots in the uk??

Jack
09-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Yes, we are on the priority list. I seem to remember having the anti pneumonia shot too which I think is a once only thing.

Hal
09-30-2010, 03:23 AM
I too will be getting the flu shot when it becomes available soon. My Rheumatology doctor is recommending it, especially given the Cytoxan I am taking. Anything to mitigate getting an infection.

freakyschizogirl
09-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Great! I can go with my mum, lol!!

elephant
09-30-2010, 04:22 AM
I already got the flu shot..it comes with the H1N1 shot too. The whole family got the flu shot...it was highly recommended by my doctor.

pberggren1
09-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I am going to ask my doc today when he calls about getting the flu shots. Whooping cough is also on the rise where I live, so I am going to ask him about that as well.

Sangye
09-30-2010, 10:24 AM
No flu shots for me.

pberggren1
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
No flu shots for me.

I think I am going to jump in your boat Sangye. There is a real big push here for everyone to get the flu shot. It has the H1N1 in it as well. Also there is an increased incidence of Whooping Cough so they are also pushing to get everyone a shot for that as well.

I have always been against the flu shot. When my brother was only a year old or younger he almost died. He got real sick after getting some shots, I don't know what. Then my Grandpa remembered something he gave to my Uncle when he was a baby and almost died of the same symptoms. It was a discontinued baby formula called Lactogen. My parents looked all over the country for it. And then one of the ladies that used to work with my Mom said she might have some. Her husband used to run the pharmacy in town. She found some in a box in the basement of the old pharmacy all covered with dust, probably a couple decades old or more. Within a couple days of my brother taking it, he got better. He is not the same today, though he leads a fairly active lifestyle. He smokes and drinks and eats sausages and who knows what else but at least he is alive.

You can't get Lactogen any more because the government found out years ago that it helped babies so they took it off the shelves. This just goes to show that modern medicine is communism and big business at the same time. It is about control and money.

elephant
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
What was in the lactogen? Lactonase?

shadow
09-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Here in the states we need a booster 5 yrs after first. This is for the pnemonia shot

pberggren1
09-30-2010, 02:42 PM
What was in the lactogen? Lactonase?

I'm not sure elephant but it could have been Lactonase.

Jack
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
And on the other side of the fence - my grandmother died from influenza! Sometimes you just can't win. :(

MCC
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
No flu shots for me.

Nor me. I was offered it a couple of times in NZ but I'd rather take my chances.

Jack
09-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I would much rather take the small risk involved with immunisation than face the very real risk of having the flu.

Don't we have this discussion every year? :smile1:

WeggieParent
09-30-2010, 11:46 PM
My daughter received her flu shot last week at the recommendation of the team of doctors treating her. We have always been against the flu shot and noone in our family has ever had one. But this year is different. We can't roll the dice and take the chance of her getting a virus that could be fatal. Our infectious disease doctor said that a patient on immune suppressants may not respond to the flu shot because the body won't recognize it. She strongly recommended everyone around my daughter get the shot to help protect her. We waited for days for her to have a reaction - small red spot at the injection site or low grade fever - but nothing happened. She is still feeling good. So, off we go - the whole family & friends - to the flu shot clinic! We should get a group discount!

MCC
10-01-2010, 12:07 AM
I would much rather take the small risk involved with immunisation than face the very real risk of having the flu.

Don't we have this discussion every year? :smile1:

Do you? First year here hehe! I probably would have had it but I'm more against imunisations these days and I really don't want to put any more chemicals in my body. I wouldn't advice other people not to do it though as I'm no expert, its a decision for me.

WeggieParent
10-01-2010, 12:21 AM
The only vaccinations we can't get are the live vaccines. We can't handle those,

I heard that too Marta. We were told that the nasal flu mist was a live vaccine and anyone with a suppressed immune system should definitely not get that!

This is such a personal decision. I've been on both sides of the fence of this issue! :confused1:

Sangye
10-01-2010, 12:41 AM
If I thought the risk was small I'd agree with you. :wink1:

Don't we have this discussion every year? :smile1:Yup! :biggrin1:

It's a very personal decision, though. Everyone needs to do their own research and make the best decision for themselves.

DEE
10-01-2010, 01:09 AM
i had flu ,2 swine flu injection last year and was fine .hubby had the same because of me and was ill on both occasions:rolleyes1:
will take alittle more effort to get him to have them this year although he does really have to have them done on his own medical condition asthma !!

Jack
10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Well, the way I see it, I know quite a few people who have had flue, but none who have suffered any serious adverse affects from flu shot.

DEE
10-01-2010, 01:17 AM
i know what your saying Jack but my hubby suffers with "MAN FLU " if you no what i mean :ohmy:

Sangye
10-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Well, the way I see it, I know quite a few people who have had flue, but none who have suffered any serious adverse affects from flu shot.
Adverse effects aren't necessarily immediate. Many of the vaccine adjuvants (other ingredients) are damaging to the central nervous system, immune system, are carcinogenic or are otherwise toxic. Some of the adjuvants in the flu shot are: formaldehyde, mercury, ethylene glycol (antifreeze), aluminum and sulfa antibiotics. There are other concerns, but I'm not in good shape to go into it today. Easy to research it online.

elephant
10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I heard that same thing Sangye...but can't remember. I also heard that some kids who got the H1N1 flu ended up with seizures and neurological problems. It was on CNN, I think with Dr Gupta.

marta
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm with Jack. We're in quite a boat right now with real, concrete, immediate threats from something as simple as a flu/cold. I have always been on the fence with flu shots / vaccines and have never had a flu shot before (I refused to get the H1N1 shot because it was such a knee jerk reaction worldwide, and it all seemed too 'the sky is falling' ) but since there is solid evidence on both sides for vaccines and the potential risks of getting them are more long term, I'm more concerned with keeping myself as healthy and alive to watch my little grow NOW. I just witnessed how fragile life is this last May and how it can be snuffed in an instant if the cards are alligned just right, so the longer I can stay kicking, and whatever it takes to get in some extra days, I'm all over it.

When I started this thread I was referring more to cold meds to alleviate the symptoms of a cold once you catch it. I wasn't even going to touch immunizations as I know how passionate arguments on both sides can get. I've been caught in the crossfire of some in years gone by with all my health pro friends (both western and traditional) and it can get very heated.... especially when there's cocktails involved. :rolleyes1:

Sangye
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Back to the topic thread... I don't use cold remedies to alleviate symptoms. They actually prolong the illness by interfering in the body's natural mechanisms to fight infections. I use natural remedies like increased neti pot rinses, increase vitamin D and C (not too much C or it can stimulate the immune system and wake up Wegs), etc.... I try to let a fever run its course, only treating it if it gets too high. Today was a good example. I woke up feeling like absolute death and by now (11 pm) I'm not in that bad shape. If you act swiftly in the beginning of a cold or flu, you can usually knock it out very quickly.

marta
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I was thinking about you today Sangye while my throat was hurting and I was coughing and feeling like a sick person. My first cold since diagnosis. Not too bad if I do say so myself, especially considering I have a snotty toddler around me most of the time. I was wondering about the Vitamin C. Good point. I take quite a bit of Vitamin D already, and the sinuses are alright so I'll avoid the rinses as long as I can - I can't get used to those bad boys. I'll try and get to sleep before 3am today, that might help :wink1:

On a side note, I have to tell you how you're all part of my life now. Brian (my honey) is on this site often through the day, as am I and we see each other at the end of the day when he comes home from work and we update on our day and then talk about what's going on here. Today he came home and one of the first things he said (after the stuff he has to say to his wife of course) was "Sangye is sick today" and we talked about you, then we talked about Jack getting stronger after his fall, we talked about the chat Phil and I had, and Elena... it's like you're all part of our extended family.
Who said Wegener's is all bad? I have more people in my family now :hug3:
That's pretty cool.

Jack
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Everyone likes a good gossip! :biggrin1:

Sangye
10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Marta, that is so sweet! I love that both you and your husband know us well.

Make sure your doc orders labs to check vitamin D on a regular basis (applies to all of us). If you need D, supplement with a good quality brand, not prescription ergocalciferol.

elephant
10-02-2010, 02:30 AM
That is so nice to have your husband read this forum.

marta
10-02-2010, 02:41 AM
He's a member too, but hasn't posted anything yet. He's gotten so much out of it - almost as much as me. And yeah Jack, the beautiful thing about a bigger family is there's always good fodder for conversation. Will do on the Vitamin D Sangye. Hope you're feeling better today. I feel like mine's moved a little deeper into my chest.

Sangye
10-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Oh, I don't like the sound of that, Marta.... You can take up to 1,500 mg vitamin C without causing a big boost to your immune system. Don't take it all at once-- doses of 500mg at a time, every few hours. That's how I wiped out my bug yesterday. I'm perfectly fine today (well, back to where I was, which is pretty lousy, but not as unbelievably lousy as I was yesterday...)

marta
10-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Good to hear Sangye. I've taken just over 750mg today (read this earlier on the fly) felt so so through the day, and much better right now than this morning. Just a bit of a headache. Thanks for the advice.

jola57
10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
That is so nice to hear Marta, unfortunately for me, my family are all still in big denial even though they know I'm sick. When I get the sniffles I take Neocitran extra strength for about 5 days. It works like magic and i don't have a stuffed nose or ackes and pains

dunkie2202
10-08-2010, 07:27 AM
I think I am going to jump in your boat Sangye. There is a real big push here for everyone to get the flu shot. It has the H1N1 in it as well. Also there is an increased incidence of Whooping Cough so they are also pushing to get everyone a shot for that as well.

I have always been against the flu shot. When my brother was only a year old or younger he almost died. He got real sick after getting some shots, I don't know what. Then my Grandpa remembered something he gave to my Uncle when he was a baby and almost died of the same symptoms. It was a discontinued baby formula called Lactogen. My parents looked all over the country for it. And then one of the ladies that used to work with my Mom said she might have some. Her husband used to run the pharmacy in town. She found some in a box in the basement of the old pharmacy all covered with dust, probably a couple decades old or more. Within a couple days of my brother taking it, he got better. He is not the same today, though he leads a fairly active lifestyle. He smokes and drinks and eats sausages and who knows what else but at least he is alive.

You can't get Lactogen any more because the government found out years ago that it helped babies so they took it off the shelves. This just goes to show that modern medicine is communism and big business at the same time. It is about control and money.

Lactogen Is a baby formula. We have it here in Australia. Three of my boys were brought up on it. My grandson just come off it.