PDA

View Full Version : What are main causes of edema after getting Wegener's disease?

drz
09-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Since My diagnosis and treatment for Wegener's disease I have noticed much more edema in my feet and ankles. It was most pronounced when I was bed ridden but even now the slightest constriction in my socks will cause an indentation and swelling in my calves or ankles. I had mild problems with this from my diabetes before the Wegener's and usually wear socks designed for diabetes and low constriction of circulation.

Sangye
09-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a major problem with this, too. I have to wear diabetic socks also, and can only wear the ones that go just above the ankle. Assuming the Wegs is under control and you don't have clots, the most likely culprit is adrenal depletion. Ever since I had to go back on high dose pred for the hearing loss in July, I've had a much worse problem with edema. I'm at 7mg pred and it's still terrible. I'll have to see what it's like when I get back down below 5 mg. Lasix isn't even touching it.

Swelling has been a big problem for me, keeping me from standing or walking much. I hope we can get it under control at some point.

gwenllian111
09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I have terrible trouble with fluid too, more so on my hands and face thank ankles.

Is your kidney function OK?

drz
09-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I have terrible trouble with fluid too, more so on my hands and face thank ankles.

Is your kidney function OK?

My kidney's are working at about 50 % at present. It has been stable in this range for several weeks so it probably won't improve much more.

woodsman1972
09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Of all the problems associated with Wegs, this has been my biggest so far. Ever since July (when I was diagnosed) the meds have made my feet and lower legs swell. I feel your pain/annoyance. Each day starts with multiple "socking up" to control it. Can't wait to get this under control so my shoes fit again. Hang in there.

Psyborg
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
This was the last symptom I had developed before I got on Prednisone, and it had been gone. But last night I noticed my right knee was swelled up, I don't think I'm ready to drop to 25mg a day if I'm getting pain and swelling again :( Gonna have to call the doctor today.

elephant
09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Glad you calling him today Psyborg. Let us know what happens.