PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sick all the time (but not throwing up)

malin
09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
For about 3-4 weeks now I have been feeling sick almost all the time but this week has been extremely bad and I keep feeling as if I am going to be sick (with that I mean throw up, although I never actually throw up). It is really uncomfortable but also worrying, any ideas what this could be down to?

I'm on MTX - 25 mg a week, Pred - 10 mg per day and then also folic acid and calcium supplements (which i am very bad at taking regulary).

I have been on all these meds for a loooong time now so it can't be down to "getting used to" them can it?
When I first started MTX six years ago I felt sick almost all the time as well but it seems really far fetched that this would be the cause now after all these years?

Thank you
/Malin

Jack
09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Do you take anything to protect your stomach such as Lansoprazole? I have an ongoing problem with my stomach and feel uncomfortable for an hour or two after eating, but I can't get by at all without Lansoprazole. I've had all the tests in the book, but have now put it down to general damage through taking so many pills for the past 25 years.

malin
09-24-2010, 08:09 PM
No Jack, I'm not on anything like that at all, I used to be but for some reason my UK rheumy doesn't seem to think its necessary.

Also the sick-feeling is more in my throat than in my stomach :/

btw, could it possibly be down to stress?

Jack
09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
When you mention your throat, I immediately think of reflux problems. Lansoprazole will cure that if it is the problem.
Hate to disagree with your doc, but I really think you need something like this for general protection if nothing else. Many of the drugs we take can result in stomach ulcers.

malin
09-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok thank you Jack, I will speak with my rheumy when i see her next (appointment booked for 4th October) and see what she says about it :)
atm I just try to suck on mints as I've heard it can help ease the sick-feeling.

Jack
09-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Ginger is supposed to be very good, but I'm not sure what form you would take it in.

Geoff
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm with Jack on this one Malin. I too take medication to help with all the stuff we throw into our stomach. I've been on Omeprazole since DX.
I agree with you about sucking on mints, you cant beat a nice Polo when you try to get your tongue thru the hole in the mint!
Hope you start feeling better soon.:)

elephant
09-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi Malin I agree with Jack too, and also my sister has been on Methotrexate for years and had severe nausea...evenuallly the doctor reduced the dose and she feels much better. I think your dose is on the high level...maybe in the future your doctor will decrease it. I know my sister's Rheumy had to adjust her meds around so that she wouldn't flare...she has RA. She also takes Enbrel too.

Sangye
09-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Malin, I'm also thinking it's either the mtx or acid reflux. 10mg pred is kind of borderline for needing stomach protection. I stay on it until I get to about 5 mg pred, just in case.

How's your blood work looked lately--specifically liver function? If it's off that can cause nausea. Mtx would be the culprit there. If your liver enzymes are still within normal limits but are increasing each time, that's a sign of increasing liver stress. Many docs ignore it unless/until it's out of range. That's like ignoring a low tire, waiting for it to go completely flat.

malin
09-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Sangye,

I haven't had any bloods done for about 3 months, since I've been in sweden so I wouldn't know :/
I am going to have bloods done next week and then see my rheumy on the 4th Oct. so will have to see what she says, she's usually very careful with noticing differences so I feel in good hands, if anything she tends to overreact!

JanW
09-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm on 15 mg of mtx and get blood tests every six weeks, for a point of comparison. Looking specifically for liver damage, as all of my inflammatory numbers are now within normal range.

jola57
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Same here, just that I'm taking 10mg mtx