PDA

View Full Version : Lucky, I Guess

nordberg
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Perhaps the readers will find this interesting. Had a bad viral pneumonia last winter and a bad reaction to an antibiotic ( Levaquin ). Afterwards as RBC fell and refused to come up local doc in this tiny town of 400 lost in the mountains of Colorado dx'd Wegeners and had the test for the antibody run and it came back positive. I went to the internet, found that I had no symptoms of the disease, and disagreed with him. MRI came back showing nodules and I then agreed to VATS biopsy which agreed with the WG dx.
So now I'm on 75mg Cytoxan and 30mg Prednisone for about a month with no side effects I can tell. RBC is at the low end of the acceptable range. WBC is okay. Creatine is at 1.5 in the acceptable range, had been higher.
I'm doing ten mile hikes up at the snow level and am slow but getting it done. Only symptom I think I have is that my feet tingle. Don't know why.
No rheumatologists here, but a good pulmonary guy in the next town ('bout a hundred miles) is directing the treatment. I see him again on Monday and we'll see if he wants to up the dosage.
Been on this treament for a month now. We'll see where things take me.
W.

andrew
11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep, definitely lucky :)

You're lucky to have what appears to be a great doc in such a small town. Looks like it got nabbed in time before the WG had a chance to screw with anything too much!

There are some other comments on this site about sore/tingling feet which you might find interesting.

You don't seem like a person that takes this diagnosis lying down :D Ten mile hikes is a good way to keep on top of things but don't overdo it :eek:

Welcome!

RCOSSIO
11-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Had the same issues with tingling feet was recommended Lyrica 50mg 3 x times daily and Vitamin b12. It did go away and I haven't been on Lyrica since August. I do have on occassion the tingling sensation, but its minor and no worth the additional med!