PDA

View Full Version : Bilateral cramps in the arches of my feet??????

LisaMarie
09-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Ok how many of u get this and how do u make it stop??? it is impossible to walk when this happens...so any assistance would be great....meant to ask earlier but my prednisone brain kicked in....i may have to make alist for u all like i do the doc...lol:tongue1::tongue1:

Jack
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I have posted in the past that my foot cramps were caused by lack of salt, but I used to make a point of avoiding its use.

LisaMarie
09-23-2010, 09:37 AM
my sodium has been fine and i avoid salt too use sea salt on rare occasion ....Jack maybe i will try a salt lick ...LOL

elephant
09-23-2010, 10:45 AM
When I was on 60 mg of prednisone I craved tomato soup, oranges, apples and three loaves of bread! The funny thing is that my potassium was low at one point and had to take potassium....I think it was from all the sweating I did...still do but less.

misskay
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Opposite for me elephant... used to love tomato, oranges, etc. Since all the meds I have a total aversion to them. Just thinking of tomato soup or tomato sauce makes bile rise up... same thing with OJ, and I used to drink quarts of it.
Lately ( past 2 weeks or so) I am borderline nauseas (sp?) all the time. have actually lost some weight due to not eating because of it and the loss of taste buds...

Sangye
09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Lisa Marie, cramps can be caused by potassium and/or magnesium deficiency.

LisaMarie
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
i am on 20meq of potassium every other day due to my levels running on the low side orginally he put me on it with the lasix i was taking every other day ....so anyone with a cure yet?:crying:

janNaz
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Ok how many of u get this and how do u make it stop??? it is impossible to walk when this happens...so any assistance would be great....meant to ask earlier but my prednisone brain kicked in....i may have to make alist for u all like i do the doc...lol:tongue1::tongue1:

Hi LisaMarie. Lately I too have been getting cramps in my feet. I'm not taking anything for it, but I have heard of potassium deficiency. I've also been getting some tingling (pins and needles feeling) in my feet, especially after walking. I don't know what the cause may be. I'm thinking maybe the mtx, which I've only been on for about 2 weeks now, but I kind of doubt it. I'll have to address this with my rheumy at my next visit. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

RCOSSIO
09-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I can truly understand...sometimes my feet feel like a Singer Sewing Machine. But i guess i have learned to deal with it....so when I get moody or B....chy, I just blame it on cramps. Anyway I did take magnesium and I can say it helped.

Good luck :)

Psyborg
09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I get mild foot cramps at night. I ended up putting a pillow between my knees when I sleep and it took care of it. Seems weird by my mom suggested it and it worked. Still get the cramps if I roll around and lose the pillow though. Weird thing is the cramps are extremely mild, not like a serious charlie horse or something.

Doug
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Opposite for me elephant... used to love tomato, oranges, etc. Since all the meds I have a total aversion to them. Just thinking of tomato soup or tomato sauce makes bile rise up... same thing with OJ, and I used to drink quarts of it.
Lately ( past 2 weeks or so) I am borderline nauseas (sp?) all the time. have actually lost some weight due to not eating because of it and the loss of taste buds...

Same here. Add pickles of any sort, and those were the foods I liked before drugs, and the ones I could not stomach after. If it gives you encouragement, these foods now taste good again since the drugs are a part of the treatment past.

Hopeful
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi LisaMarie. Unlike the others, potassium didn't help. I add a little iodised salt to my diet. It has helped the cramps, but I walk a fine line so I don't get so I don't get too much sodium and raise my blood pressure. I figure once I'm in remission I'll cut out the salt again.

drz
09-28-2010, 09:37 AM
My cramps seem to come and go. Levels of salt, minerals seem OK on last lab work. Some times they seem very severe and painful, others are mild and fleeting. I am going with suggestion they are side effects of one of many meds I am on or related to variation in BG levels but no one seems to really know. I did have them before diagnosis of Wegener's though but I have had symptoms that could be Wegener's for a couple years before it got bad enough to get diagnosed.

elephant
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I remember when my kidneys were failing that's when my cramps were the worst. I am sure I had electrolyte imbalances!

Sangye
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
My potassium levels kept looking okay on the monthly labwork, but I knew they were dipping too low some days (due to diuretic). I finally convinced Dr Seo to check potassium every 2 weeks. We did, and this "caught" some very low potassium days.

jola57
09-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Ha, that is interesting Sangye, it seems that we all might have low potassium days and just don't know about it. I won;t stretch my left leg at night because my calf seizes up.

Sangye
09-29-2010, 12:59 AM
After I "proved" the low potassium, I've been on a potassium supplement and haven't had the same problem. I still get muscle cramps from magnesium deficiency, though. The potassium deficiency was causing a lot of weakness.

jola57
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Hmmm, I am craving tomatoes