PDA

View Full Version : Totally Weird But True

Sangye
09-21-2010, 01:16 PM
For several months I've been having increasing pain in the area of my right kidney. It's always been worse within an hour of taking lasix (diuretic) and when we increased the dose in July, it got really bad. The area causing pain grew larger, and was the size of a grapefruit on my posterior right ribs. Since July the pain has been quite severe, even on 60mg pred. My kidney function has been fine, and a CT of the kidney was fine, too. Dr Seo couldn't figure out what was causing the pain.

A couple of gallstones showed up on CT 2 years ago but have remained stable. Every so often I get a gallbladder twinge under the front right ribs. But nothing bad and no other symptoms. I've kept a close eye on my gallbladder and feed it beet root to keep the bile thin. I tolerate fats just fine. With the pain the past few months, I've pushed on my gallbladder a number of times to see if it's painful-- nope!

On Wednesday I asked my chiropractor if he could figure out what was causing the pain. He found a couple muscles associated with liver function that weren't working properly. He did a little work to get them working, but I didn't have much confidence that it fixed the problem.

Two days later, my stool turned bright green. I hadn't eaten anything that would cause such a color. I had several bm's all day, and they were all bright green--bile. I felt fine otherwise. At one point I saw tiny, very bright green granules in it-- gallstones! The weird thing is, the more this came out of me, the more the right back pain decreased. By the end of the day, I had almost no pain at all. The pain is still gone and my bm's returned to normal the next day.

In addition to the chiro work, lately I've been craving apples. Apples help to mobilize gallstones. (I wasn't eating them with this in mind-- I was just totally craving them.) I think the apples got things prepped and the chiro work got my liver and gallbladder working efficiently so they could dump the whole mess. Pretty cool, huh?

pberggren1
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I am totally amazed again Sangye. Just when I thought I have heard it all or can't learn anymore about a particular topic then BANG. I am glad you are feeling better and this is all resolved now. I see this as more proof that we all need holistic practitioners in our lives.

jola57
09-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Glad that sorted itself out Sangye, I never did find out what that pain under front right rib was. Ultrasound didn't show anything. But now that you mentioned this, I remember craving apples and the pain seems to have lessened quite a bit. Only a twinge now and again. Now I know why.:hug1:

Jack
09-21-2010, 07:48 PM
That made interesting reading since my experience was very similar.
I had gall stone troubles with the usual symptoms, but also an unexplained kidney pain that was quite severe, but short lived and seemed to be associated with high stress situations. I had decided that it may be something to do with Adrenal glands, but could have had the connection with the gall stones that you describe. I have not had symptoms for many years now and have no idea why they went away.

elephant
09-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Sangye that is wonderful that you are feeling better....my gallbladder is out. I probably should of ate more apples.:wink1::rolleyes1:

Psyborg
09-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Glad that sorted itself out Sangye, I never did find out what that pain under front right rib was. Ultrasound didn't show anything. But now that you mentioned this, I remember craving apples and the pain seems to have lessened quite a bit. Only a twinge now and again. Now I know why.:hug1:

Just so you know those Ultrasounds are not terribly effective for detecting issues with the gallbladder. I had multiple "normal" ultrasounds and found out later with a hidascan that my gallbladder was completely non-functional. When they did surgery they found my gallbladder had ruptured at some unknown time in the past and had scarred itself off. I was completely dumbfounded that a ruptured gallbladder somehow looked ok on a ultrasound.

freakyschizogirl
09-22-2010, 12:41 AM
thats weird and kinda interesting at the same time. Glad you're feeling better Sangye.

Sangye
09-22-2010, 01:10 AM
A big reason why I ruled out gallbladder as the cause of pain was that it was constant and severe. It didn't worsen after eating, which is typical of gallbladder.

The other thing that happened while I was dumping all that bile and stones was that I completely lost my sense of humor all day. I wasn't depressed, just no sense of humor. The only time that happens is with migraines. Not because of the pain-- I can be in far worse pain and still laugh about it. It's a liver thing.

Psyborg, it's amazing that your gallbladder ruptured silently like that.

elephant
09-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I know someone who died becasue their gallbladder ruptured, my sister had emergency surgery because her was about to rupture. You are really lucky Psyborg. I agree with you on the gallbaldder ultra sound...they found nothing , but then the Hida scan confirmed my gallbadder was sluggish!

Psyborg
09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Somehow mine had walled itself off with scar tissue. The body can be an amazing thing at times. The funny thing is the surgeon couldn't believe I didn't remember any serious illnesses that should have resulted from the rupture. Never had any that I recall though...unless it was a very long time ago and misdiagnosed (suspected food poisoning at least 13 years earlier).

pberggren1
09-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Just so you know those Ultrasounds are not terribly effective for detecting issues with the gallbladder. I had multiple "normal" ultrasounds and found out later with a hidascan that my gallbladder was completely non-functional. When they did surgery they found my gallbladder had ruptured at some unknown time in the past and had scarred itself off. I was completely dumbfounded that a ruptured gallbladder somehow looked ok on a ultrasound.

What is a hidascan?

elephant
09-22-2010, 06:43 AM
What the hida scan does is take pictures of your gallbladder for about an hour. They give you radiactive dye ( inject it in your vein) and that is how they are about to see the gallbladder...see if it is doing its job.

jola57
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Psyborg, that is amazing, one heck of a tough body you have there. Mine hurt after eating that's why gall stones came to mind, but It also may have been the liver. It has been quites on that front too for a while.