PDA

View Full Version : Medications and Remission

Psyborg
09-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I am not there yet, but I am feeling pretty hopeful that I'm going the right way. So I am curious what sorts of medication I'll find myself on when I get into remission? As far as I can tell we still have to take some meds to ensure that we don't re-develope the disease (though a flare is obviously always going to be a possibility). I am just curious what sort of treatment we find ourselves in long term if we are not currently in a flare.

Sangye
09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Psyborg, it isn't a given that you'll have to stay on any drugs to maintain remission. I did two rounds of rtx (5 mos apart) and I'm not on anything. Dr Seo thinks it'll be sufficient to just repeat the rtx a year after the last treatment. I might be able to go even longer than that.

If you do need to stay on an immunosuppressant, Cellcept, mtx or imuran are the usual choices.

Jack
09-20-2010, 12:03 AM
As Sangye says, at best you will be on nothing at all. I think the first step up from there is Bactrim, then Cellcept and Prednisolone.

Sangye
09-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I think Bactrim is only for those with sinus involvement. I was only on it while taking ctx.

Luce
09-20-2010, 04:01 AM
I've had 4 doses of rtx and am very close to remission, I've just been put on 100mg Imuran as the rtx will start to wear off soon. If it works (I flared on Imuran before but that was straight after ctx when the disease was much more active) we'll gradually reduce my Imuran dose to a maintenance level of 25mg-50mg along with as little pred as I can tolerate. I'm on 6mg at the moment and don't feel ready to drop any further as I'm still feeling quite tired by the afternoon. I'm also on a stomach protector and blood pressure meds, so doubt I'll be drug free anytime soon.

To be honest I'm not feeling great on Imuran, lots of upset stomachs and light-headedness. I'm hoping that if it isn't suitable we can switch to Cellcept before I begin to flare, especially since the renal clinic that are my primary carers refuse to pay for any more rtx unles my kidney function decreases. They are saying it should be the respiratory team that should pay as that is where the disease first presesnted, however respiratory wouldn't pay for the first lot because my lungs weren't beinng affected. If I need rtx again I'm going to try and get referred to Rheumatology as hopefully they'll treat the disease as a whole, instead of my current consultants who are ony interested in their specific areas.
Renal originally agreed to treat me as they had WG experience and wanted to be in complete control, now I'm costing them money they don't seem so keen.

Psyborg
09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks all, was just curious. I have my fingers crossed, the doctor says I'm reacting exactly as I should to everything, so I hope that means I'll be able to get back to something resembling "normal" again soon. Soon being at least two months...gee I have a new "Soon" now too :wink1:

elephant
09-20-2010, 08:42 AM
That sounds great Psyborg. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you that "normal" close to it will come.:biggrin1:

elephant
09-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Luce sounds like your doing well. My body didn't like Imuran either...cellcept seems to work for me.:biggrin1:

jola57
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Luce, hopefuly cellcept will be better.
Psyborg, I have been on mtx for the past year and they way my rheumy talks it will be my maintenance drug if necessary. I think a lot is contingent on how well you do on what drug. the best way of being in remission is NO DRUGS at all. So here's hope you get there :thumbsup:

JanW
09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Yes, Psyborg, if you respond well, you can still believe that at some point, you will be off all drugs, and as I heard Sangye's doc say at the conference, vasculitis patients deserve the right to be off drugs in an attempt to maintain a drug free remission, because long term immunosuppression is not without its own risks. I know Jack has said and others have concurred that if you know your body and start going into a flare, you can get it seen to sooner because you know how WG acts in your body.

I've never had Bactrim mentioned to me, either, and I've had no sinus involvement since before my initial diagnosis.

Psyborg
09-21-2010, 03:49 AM
No drugs is my hope. Given my previous liver damage I have some obstacles when it comes to a lot of the Wegs drugs, I seem to be lucky in that I tend to react "as expected" to my medication.

Luce
09-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Thanks everyone, if we can hold it where it is I'll be happy - just not sure Imuran is the right drug for me, but I'm prepared to give it another go.
My only problems are the fallout from long term steroids and it's not looking likely I'll get off it completely, I'd settle for anything under 5mg really.
Psyborg, I'm sure you'll get there but be prepared for the long haul - unfortunately WG isn't part-time (my 2 year anniversary of being diagnosed is coming up next month).

Psyborg
09-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Luce, I hope they find the right drug for you and you can get off the steroids.

I'm prepared, but crossing my fingers that it goes as well as my Doctor thinks it will. I think I was lucky in they caught it before any extremely serious side effects were found. My only real obvious involvement is Tracheal Stenosis, and I feel lucky as that seems preferable to bleeding lungs or kidney damage. I do understand that it can still change as well. But so far sinuses and all diagnostic checks have been clean/clear.

JanW
09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm same as you, Psyborg (although my stenosis is higher up, in my subglottis) and it does seem preferable than bleeding lungs or kidney damage. I had another doctors visits and things are continuing to trend in the right direction -- my windpipe is holding steady and I have almost no clinic symptoms (slight ankle pain only) at this point. My doc says that he will use joint pain as a 'signal' symptom for me at the moment, since I have no other symptoms (and have only ever had slight sinus involvement and stenosis. He said he hoped I realized how lucky I have been so far with this disease, and I said "yes, yes I do."