PDA

View Full Version : Left or Right Handed?

Luce
09-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi

I'm left handed and have just read a little section on Wikipedia regarding the causes of left-handedness. Apparently it could be due to increased testosterone levels during pregnancy which suppresses growth in the left hemisphere of the brain. This means more neurons migrate to the right hemisphere and that means you become left handed because the right hemisphere controls the left side of your body.

According to Wiki this means you are more prone to auto-immune disorders, so I thought I'd do a little poll to see if the majority of us are either left or right handed. Could be fun!

Jack
09-19-2010, 07:37 AM
At last, the cause of Wegener's is discovered! :w00t:

Sangye
09-19-2010, 07:49 AM
LOL-- and if it were, what would be the solution?

I'm right-handed. My mom is the only leftie in the family and she never had an AI disease.

MCC
09-19-2010, 07:51 AM
left here!

Psyborg
09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Right handed here...severely so...almost useless with my left hand :)

Luce
09-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Oh dear, 14 to 2 - this theory isn't looking so good, and as Sangye said I'm not sure we could do anything about it anyway.

I'm very left handed but have learnt how to cope with tin openers and scissors (can't use left handed ones because I'm so used to compensating with right handed ones) but had to search long and hard for a spaghetti spoon that had prongs on both sides!

Jack
09-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Since breaking my right wrist and shoulder, I've become more ambidextrous. You have to look on the positive side of these things! ;)

freakyschizogirl
09-20-2010, 03:38 AM
i'm a bit ambidextrous..i write with my right hand but hold my knife in my left when eating. Aparently thats a skill.

Luce
09-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Despite being left handed I eat with my knife in my right hand - his Mum, sister and niece are all also left handed and eat this way. However when I carve meat I use my left hand to cut, unlike my mother-in-law who still uses her right.
I find it interesting to see these little variations between tasks, I think most of it is learned from your environment and affects co-ordination in sports etc.

jola57
09-20-2010, 07:44 AM
I am right handed but can do many things with my hand, just not writing.

gutless
09-20-2010, 08:06 AM
right handed

misskay
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I do everything right handed... except drive. I have always driven standard transmission vehicles. If I so much as put my right hand on the steering wheel I'd crash and die I'm sure of it.