PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the dentist

MCC
09-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi guys,
hope you are all ok!

I am back in the UK now and wanted to visit a dentist- just for a check up or clean, but I wondered if I need to warn them about anything in terms of being immunosupressed or my medication as I read something before about Fosamax which I was taking for couple of months?

I am now just on 2.5mg pred and aziziprine or however you spell it! I am currently doctorless as I wait for a check in appointment here so I have no one to ask...

Thanks x

Sangye
09-18-2010, 01:29 AM
Hi Mandy, glad to hear you arrived okay. Palmyra is the dental expert and can tell you everything you need to know!

elephant
09-18-2010, 01:30 AM
How much are you taking of the aziziprine ( imuran ?).....you will have to get a GP to get a prescriptionn for you if he thinks you need antibiotics for the day. I took 2000 my of ampicillin just the day of the denist visit ( teeth cleaning)....that is when I was not on Bactrim.

DEE
09-18-2010, 01:34 AM
IVE JUST AZKED THE SAME QUESTION AT WG APPOINTMENT HE SAID GIVE THEM A LIST OF ALL YOUR MEDS AND AS LONG AS THEY GIVE YOU ANTI B BEFORE AND AFTER TREATMENT THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM DEEx

Hammy8241
09-18-2010, 01:54 AM
As per Dee but I think you will only need Abs if you need filling etc.. I don't have them normally... Oh and rob a bank might help too:biggrin1:

Jack
09-18-2010, 02:29 AM
As above.
My dentist always has a full list of my medication and requires me to take a single dose of Amoxicillin before procedures other than scale and polish even though I take Co-Trimoxazole daily.

MCC
09-19-2010, 07:52 AM
How much are you taking of the aziziprine ( imuran ?).....you will have to get a GP to get a prescriptionn for you if he thinks you need antibiotics for the day. I took 2000 my of ampicillin just the day of the denist visit ( teeth cleaning)....that is when I was not on Bactrim.

I'm on 50mg.

Why would I need antibiotics?

Thank you!

MCC
09-19-2010, 07:53 AM
As per Dee but I think you will only need Abs if you need filling etc.. I don't have them normally... Oh and rob a bank might help too:biggrin1:

There's an NHS one near by recruiting new patients which I'm obviously pleased about :biggrin1:

drz
09-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm on 50mg.

Why would I need antibiotics?

Thank you!

I asked this question when I went in for routine teeth cleaning. I was told by two different dentists they don't give antibiotics routinely as they found the reaction to antibiotics equaled problems from infection. They did give me a mouth wash to rinse with before cleaning.

elephant
09-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Mandy, at that time I was on heavier immunsuppressants so the GP suggested I take the ampicillin. I think 50 mg of Imuran is a low dose.

gwenllian111
09-20-2010, 04:43 AM
I had a root canal last week and had nothing from the dentist. Think I should have had some anti biotics though!!!