PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom?

malin
09-16-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering what you guys think about having our own chatroom?
We could have it for more "personal" day-to-day everyday type talk to get to know each other a bit better and to get instant support and just a good time and loads of laughs?

What do you all think? :smile1:

elephant
09-16-2010, 03:15 AM
Malin that is a great idea, love your profile picture.

pberggren1
09-16-2010, 03:38 AM
I think it is a great idea. I already chat with about 4 other Weggies on Facebook.

freakyschizogirl
09-16-2010, 03:40 AM
i think thats excellent idea....have to ask andrew if its possible.

eileenv
09-16-2010, 03:44 AM
How are you getting on with treatment Phil are you nearing the end? do you feel any better?

pberggren1
09-16-2010, 03:47 AM
How are you getting on with treatment Phil are you nearing the end? do you feel any better?

I feel a bit better today but will probably feel worse later on because I have to go to the hospital in the afternoon for blood work. I have about 4 and a half weeks left of the IV antibiotics but could be longer depending on negative sputum samples coming back.

eileenv
09-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Hope it all goes well for you Phil this pm, and you hvae to no longer on the iv antibiotics.

Sangye
09-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Phil, I'm expecting negative sputum culture from you in 4.5 weeks. So you better hunker down and fight off that infection. :wink1::tongue1:

andrew
09-16-2010, 12:10 PM
:back on topic:

HA!!!! I knew it would only be a matter of time before I could get to use the Putinator!!! LOL

As for the chatroom, just consider that anything said in the chat room doesn't get saved, that means any Wegs-type questions that get asked and discussed disappear. The discussion and answers that others might get benefit from are lost. Happy to add a chatroom though, just be aware of that.....

Sangye
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
LOL--Guilty as charged!

The loss of saved info is my concern as well. Still, the idea of a chatroom sounds nice.

pberggren1
09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
LOL--Guilty as charged!

The loss of saved info is my concern as well. Still, the idea of a chatroom sounds nice.

Ditto to that.

malin
09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I understand where you are coming from about loss of info, but the whole idea with a chatroom is that it's a place where we could talk about more "random" things and just have a laugh, if you have a serious question, the forum would still be where you would post it.

A chatroom is just to add a more personal touch and a more "flowing" conversation, also if something really interesting and important does come up, you can always do a screen shot or copy n paste! :)

andrew
09-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Okeys gimme some time and I'll put in a chat room and we'll see how it goes. I reserve the right to change my mind if it takes too much away from the forum :-)

Sangye
09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Andrew, please take care of yourself first! You've got to get yourself back on track physically. And you have pill boxes to buy... :wink1:

I like your reservation-- good idea.

andrew
09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Can't sleep. Not even on Pred either....look ma no hands :)

elephant
09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
How come you can't sleep Andrew?

jola57
09-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I thought you were on pred. Can't sleep myself, its 2:30 am in Vancouver

andrew
09-19-2010, 01:32 PM
How come you can't sleep Andrew?

Searching for a decent chat room plugin lol! No pred yet...

andrew
10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Okey dokey....
After scouring the world for a chat facility...ok...I Googled it....I have found PHP chat software, Footer chat, In-page chat software | CometChat (http://www.cometchat.com/)

Basically it's a Facebook style chat box that integrates with the forums in that only your forum friends can chat to you (and vise versa) - much like Facebook. The plan would be to limit it to members that have been around for a while (not sure how long yet) in order to try and keep WG-related questions and discussions to the forum.

In the spirit of transparency please note that each and every chat session is logged and saved. While I don't have the time nor the inclination to sit here and spy on you all I just wanted you to be aware.

Please take a look at the website via the link above and let me know what you think.

A

pberggren1
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Looks OK to me Andrew, but then again I know little about computers.

andrew
10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
S'ok I'll count that as 1 vote :)

pberggren1
10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Si, Senor.

elephant
10-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Ditto to what Phil said. :)

Jack
10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I doubt that I would use a chat room. I already spend too much time on the computer.

Geoff
10-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Andrew,

excuse my ignorance in these matters but having just looked at the demo (5 users on line) can I assume that what ever you type 'aimed' towards another user is seen by all and sundry who can then chip in with their own comments?

Stop Laughing!!!

misskay
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
I am also not an expert with computers, so I'll leave it to you Andrew... you've taken us this far with no problems :)

Sangye
10-13-2010, 01:55 AM
I plead ignorance. :w00t:

JanW
10-13-2010, 02:51 AM
If it's like an FB chat box, it's between you both, but what andrew is saying is that he can see it all.

Sure, I would probably use a chat box if I was on the forum, i could imagine it being useful for something I wanted to PM instantly).

misskay
10-13-2010, 03:45 AM
My only problem so far is this...

limit it to members that have been around for a while (not sure how long yet)
Wouldn't this seem a little 'clique-ish' to newer members? Being newly diagnosed makes you feel enough like an outsider without then feeling excluded from part of this forum. And the "members who have been around for a while"... I've only been a member here for a few months and don't post a whole lot, but I read the forum several times a day... but there are times when I would like to talk about things (emotional issues, depression, having a crummy day, etc) but don't feel comfortable putting it out there for the whole world to see. Some issues are very personal like hair loss, etc... don't really want an unknown visitor to the forum reading about how this sometimes makes me feel...

Just my 2 cents...

Jack
10-13-2010, 03:50 AM
There might be a similar issue with "only your forum friends can chat to you". I for one have not got any since I have always rejected the request. Nothing personal! Just that I don't understand the point of it.

misskay
10-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Hadn't thought of that aspect Jack... but I'm with you. Have no 'friends' on the forum... so would I then be excluded from chat? hmmm....

freakyschizogirl
10-13-2010, 06:04 AM
I'd use it...but because i am of the generation that likes to chat online other than ring someone...lol.

And emailing can be a bit slow....

eileenv
10-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Thank you Andrew i will defintly use it and have taken in all what you have said.:thumbup:

freakyschizogirl
10-13-2010, 06:44 AM
i'm probably being completely blind (or i will blame it on the pred) wheres the chatroom??

Jack
10-13-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't think it exists yet, this is just a proposal, but there is a link to a demo in one of Andrew's posts in this thread.

freakyschizogirl
10-13-2010, 07:30 AM
ah thats what i was looking for...thanks jack!

jola57
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Just looked. There are a few of the chat programs, does it matter which one i use to see my "friends" ? All I could see was me and some bots LOL

Doug
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm unlikely to use a chat room, but I'm of the generation that doesn't use these things.

I would be put off by putting personal stuff in an open forum anyway. There are times an e-mail or private message to another member is the best way to handle things of a confidential or sensitive nature, to get a second opinion before you stick your foot in your mouth on the forum.

My other concern would be that it'd break us into two communities, young and old, or users and non-users of the chat room.

pberggren1
10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Actually Doug, when you chat with someone, that conversation stays between 2 people, you and the person you are chatting with.

Doug
10-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I see. I still doubt I'd use it as much as I do the main forum, if at all. Hard to tell.

pberggren1
10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Ya, we will have to take it for a test drive first.

Kimbangu
10-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Instead of a chatroom, why not just keep this thread going? - Call it "the chatroom thread" and then the half dozen most frequent contributors could use it as a chatroom. You could pin it so it's always at the top. This would free up some of the other threads- which do seem to lurch off-topic after a while- and make the other postings more accessible for the growing number of new members.

I wouldn't use a chatroom personally.

pberggren1
10-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Instead of a chatroom, why not just keep this thread going? - Call it "the chatroom thread" and then the half dozen most frequent contributors could use it as a chatroom. You could pin it so it's always at the top. This would free up some of the other threads- which do seem to lurch off-topic after a while- and make the other postings more accessible for the growing number of new members.

I wouldn't use a chatroom personally.

Not a bad idea but it sounds too much like the Yahoo chat room to me.