PDA

View Full Version : A new WG study for those in larger centres

marta
09-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey guys,

I just got this, and thought I'd pass it on if anyone in one of the large centres is interested in participating. Unfortunately, there's nothing close to where I live, but I think this study has a great goal and thought some of you might want to participate.

New Clinical Site Open!

Dear Marta

The Vasculitis Clinical Research Consortium is pleased to let you know the University of Utah, Salt Lake is now enrolling patients for our study Study Name: 5505 - VCRC Longitudinal Protocol for Wegener's Granulomatosis and Microscopic Polyangiitis

About this study ~

This update also provides information such as a study summary, eligibility criteria, and a list of participating center locations. If you are interested in participating in this study or you have more questions, please contact the center nearest to you.
This study may become available at additional clinical centers in the coming months. Stay Tuned!

Study Name: 5505 - VCRC Longitudinal Protocol for Wegener's Granulomatosis and Microscopic Polyangiitis

Study Status: Recruiting

For:
Microscopic Polyangiitis (MPA)
Wegener's Granulomatosis (WG)

Summary:
In the longitudinal studies, clinical and laboratory information will be collected on patients with vasculitis to study the disease over an extended period of time. The data from the longitudinal studies will be used by scientists to study the genetics and causes of vasculitis, find new ways to track disease and predict responses, to understan d how to treat patients, and much more.

How to Participate:In order to participate in a study, you must personally contact the study coordinator of any of the participating institutions by phone or by e-mail. Please use the information below to inquire about participation.
Boston University School of Medicine (VCRC)
Boston, MassachusettsPrincipal Investigator: Peter Merkel, MD, MPHContact Person: Zarabeth GoldenOffice: 617-414-2507Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
Cleveland Clinic Foundation (VCRC)
Cleveland, OhioPrincipal Investigator: Carol Langford, MD, MHSContact Person: Katherine Tuthill, RN, MSN, CNPOffice: 216-444-9606Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
Johns Hopkins University (VCRC)
Baltimore, MarylandPrincipal Investigator: Philip Seo, MD, MHSContact Person: Alexander PinachosOffice: 410-550-4580Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
Mayo Clinic (VCRC)
Rochester, MinnesotaPrincipal Investigator: Ulrich Specks, MDContact Person: Kathleen Mieras, CCRPOffice: 507-284-9187Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto (VCRC)
Toronto, Ontario CanadaPrincipal Investigator: Simon Carette, MDContact Person: Julia FarquharsonOffice: 416-586-8616Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
St. Joseph's Hospital, Toronto (VCRC)
Hamilton, Ontario CanadaPrincipal Investigator: Nader Khalidi, MDContact Person: Sandra Messier, RCTOffice: 905-522-1155 x 35873Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
University of Utah (VCRC)
Salt Lake City, UtahPrincipal Investigator: Curry Koening, MD, MSContact Person: Julieanne Nielsen, BSOffice: 801-585-0798 Email: [email protected] (mhtml:{350F1753-88A8-4FE4-93CA-18AC01FD8C2E}mid://00000016/!x-usc:mailto:[email protected])

drz
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
It doesn't say you have to go to one of the research centers, just contact them about participating. How long of commitment since they are talking longitudinal study over extended period of time.

marta
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
That's a great point drz. I'll look into it. Maybe I can participate from little ol'Jasper. I'll contact them and find out about commitment.

TBulger
09-18-2010, 03:25 AM
I responded to the letter I received. You need to visit one of the centers each quarter for blood work and an examination. I am considering making the trip from Atlanta to Johns Hopkins. They did offer that they could do a clinical exam rather than a study exam. I am looking at a day trip from Atlanta. It would be the cost of round trip airfare and car rental.

drz
09-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I responded to the letter I received. You need to visit one of the centers each quarter for blood work and an examination. I am considering making the trip from Atlanta to Johns Hopkins. They did offer that they could do a clinical exam rather than a study exam. I am looking at a day trip from Atlanta. It would be the cost of round trip airfare and car rental.
So what perks come with study? Is a clinical exam better or just different than study exam?