PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Brooke
09-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I have not posted in a while, I have been so busy with work and family visiting and my son having his tonsils and adnoids out! Everything is going fine, I am heading to Mayo Clinic tomorrow for a follow up. I will have urine and blood work, pulmonary function test, ct scan, visit with ENT and then visit with my doctor.
Last few days, I thought I was going down hill a bit, started coughing a lot and felt a little more wheezy. Then I realized I hadn't taken my prilosec in over a week. So I have been taking it the past 2 days and things seem better already. I really do think I have some acid reflux or gerd on top of Wegener's.

I hope everyone is hanging in there and feeling good. I plan on reading some posts and catching up soon! :biggrin1:

Jack
09-14-2010, 12:59 AM
I think most of us need to take something like Prilosec due to the effect of all the other medication on the stomach. I know that I can only manage about a day without it before suffering.

Sangye
09-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Brooke, so glad to hear you're doing well! Hope you get a great report card from your Mayo docs. :smile1:

Brooke
09-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks Jack and Sangye - I wonder how many of us take something like prilosec? Maybe more of us need to be on it if not already? A couple of months ago (or less) when I was getting off of the pred I started to cough more and felt wheezy and the dr. at Mayo said I need to start taking my symbicort inhaler, take prilosec, and elevate my bed. After a week or week and a half, I started to feel better. When she told me to do that at first, I was thinking yeah right, thats not going to help it's the Wegener's but I complied anyways and I am glad I did. I will try anything first before having to go on pred again!

Sangye
09-14-2010, 03:25 AM
I only take an acid-blocker when I'm on pred doses higher than 5 mg. Unless a medication specifically causes hyperacidity (like pred does), blocking stomach acid is the opposite of what is needed to correct acid reflux.

elephant
09-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Brooke hope everything goes well at Mayo. I take Nexium 40 mg every other day,that really helps.