PDA

View Full Version : Need Sleepy!!

woodsman1972
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I know there are some threads relating to sleeping problems on this board so I apologize if this question is redundant. Anybody out there found a "natural" cure for the insomnia that comes with high doses of pred? I can get a prescription for sleeping pills, but they are expensive and habit forming. Just wanted to see if anyone found a natural substitute that works for them. Thanks, as always for any input.:w00t:

jola57
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Warm milk with honey. I spend the sleepless nights watching movies on the internet and somwhere along I get sleepy enough to get some shuteye. I know that some are usnig sleeping aids, I just don't like the way they make me feel. Sangye migth know of a herbal remedy.

Sangye
09-09-2010, 01:50 AM
These are the ways I got good sleep while on high dose pred the past couple months:
- Take all your pred in the morning, since it doesn't stay in the body for long.
- Take your pred at the same time each morning to get your adrenals into a regular rhythm
- Get to bed by 11:00 at the latest since a natural "awake" rhythm kicks in at midnight.
- Don't eat 2-3 hrs before bedtime
- No caffeine, or at least none after noon
- Follow a Pitta-pacifying Ayurvedic diet (Pitta is Fire-- an excess of it can cause insomnia)

Even on 60mg pred, I slept well by following this plan. The nights I had insomnia were always due to staying up too late or eating too many firey foods.

marta
09-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm so with you woodsman. I've tried everything, and nada.

Hammy8241
09-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Hot milk with a spoonful of sugar, shower, bed, read a book or watch a 'who done it' on TV as I always fall asleep before they identify the murderer.
For me, food before bedtimes helps .

Agree with Sangye with regards to taking your pred as early as you can in the morning.

Happy Camper
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Warm milk and I read in bed. Or come take care of my 3 kids all day-that put me to sleep most night even on 60mg of Pred LOL!!! I did have to take a Xanax here and there b/c I really just couldn't sleep though. Now that I'm down to 30mg, it's much better

woodsman1972
09-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Just wanted to ask, so you can take the entire dosage of Pred at one time? I am prescribed 50mg/day right now, and I taper it throughout the day (20 when I wake up, 20 around 5pm, and 10 before I go to sleep). Is taking all of it earlier in the day acceptable? I never thought to ask my doctor. What is the best way? Thanks again.

Sangye
09-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Oh wow, no wonder you can't sleep! When you're on high dose of pred there's no reason to split the doses. It's safe and normal to take the entire dose at once in the morning.

When you get to much lower doses (under 10mg) you might need to split the dose to keep it in your system long enough.

woodsman1972
09-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Whew!! Thanks Sangye! I will start doing that. Once again you have to ask the question to get the answer. Too many questions sometimes.

jola57
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Maybe I will start doing this take 2 in morning and 2 in the evening.

elephant
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I was told by my pharmacist to take all 60 mg in the morning...but I still had insomnia. Everyone is different.
I am taking 7 mg of prednisone and will be on that for a total of 4 weeks and then Oct 1 take 6 1/2 mg of prednisone for 4 weeks. I will start splitting the dose am and pm soon.

LisaMarie
09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I was on 60mg daily and am now on 40 mg daily.....I take it all in the morning before 8 am and try to avoid any added steriods ...like injections when i am sick or need and infusion...otherwise it is fatigue but no good sleep...the doc put me on clonizepam 0.5 mg bid to help me be more even keel.....pred can make you moody and mean....i say he did it so i don't hurt my husband when he is being not soo understanding when it comes to WG...he just does not get it all the time...problbaly never will.....You can try tilo/linden flower tea or chamille ..they both aide in sleep and chamillie helps your tummy too....just a thought have a good night