PDA

View Full Version : New Zeland Earthquake 7.0 near Christchurch

pberggren1
09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
I know that we have some members from New Zeland and even one from Christchuch I think. I don't remember who they are but this earthquake thing made me think of them right away. I hope they are alright.

elephant
09-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks Phil I have not even heard it yet..on the news.

Luce
09-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Wow, not heard of this - I'm from Christchurch in England but our town is twinned with Christchurch, New Zealand and working for the local council I have met the leader of their local authority so feel I have a very small connection.

Off to try and find some news now, thanks Phil.

Fran
09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Heard this on the news last night - hope it wasn't a bad one. Are earthquakes a common occurence in Australia and New Zealand as I never heard of this before ?

andrew
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Quite common in New Zealand (although mostly not as serious as this one) because it's right on the Pacific 'Rim of Fire' but less so here in Australia. The last serious one we had was (I think) in Newcastle in about 1994 or so. It was felt in Sydney (250km away).

Sangye
09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
One of our Kiwi nuns just got back from a trip to New Zealand a couple days ago. She's been talking to family there and said things are quite bad, though there weren't any casualties. Hoping everyone is okay.

Lightwarrior
09-07-2010, 04:53 AM
just heard more about it on CNN, they are inspecting homes before they allow people back into them and finding lots of damage. Still having aftershocks of 5 or greater.

pberggren1
07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I just heard there was an earthquake near Wellington. I hope everyone is okay there.

mishb
07-21-2013, 05:47 PM
The lovely new girl who's boyfriend has just been diagnosed - they are from Wellington ( mzschaumkell )

I hope they are okay.

MCC is also from Wellington, but I'm not sure which Island.

We have smaller 2 to 3 earthquakes in Victoria but, as Andrew said, nothing big since the Newcastle one in 1989 that killed 13.

Take care our New Zealand friends

mzschaumkell
07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the concern, it was a mighty big shake, thats for sure, but we are all ok :) Appears there are no injuries, just damage to buildings etc. MCC lives in Auckland, so she should be ok :)

Work is closed tomorrow though, our building is built on reclaimed land, so big sink holes are appearing!! Glad I wasn't at work today!!! Right on a faultline....scary stuff.

mishb
07-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the concern, it was a mighty big shake, thats for sure, but we are all ok :) Appears there are no injuries, just damage to buildings etc. MCC lives in Auckland, so she should be ok :)

Work is closed tomorrow though, our building is built on reclaimed land, so big sink holes are appearing!! Glad I wasn't at work today!!! Right on a faultline....scary stuff.

I'm glad to hear everyone is okay.

Just as I typed about Newcastle - they had a 3.0 earthquake hit at 6.48pm tonight.
No injuries or damage from what I can tell off reports.

- scary stuff for sure

vdub
07-22-2013, 08:19 AM
I listen to an NZed radio station in Auckland several hours a day (Coast FM - Timeless Music by Timeless Artists (http://thecoast.net.nz)). They reported on the quake almost immediately and I've been able to keep up on the damage. Of course, I'm half asleep when I'm listening, but my understanding was 5.8 at Wellington. They said a lot of people were stuck in elevators overnight and lots of water pipes were bursting overnight (probably from the cold). Hang in there, Wellington!

drz
07-22-2013, 10:20 AM
I listen to an NZed radio station in Auckland several hours a day (Coast FM - Timeless Music by Timeless Artists (http://thecoast.net.nz)). They reported on the quake almost immediately and I've been able to keep up on the damage. Of course, I'm half asleep when I'm listening, but my understanding was 5.8 at Wellington. They said a lot of people were stuck in elevators overnight and lots of water pipes were bursting overnight (probably from the cold). Hang in there, Wellington!

I really like the music here too and book marked it so I can join you in listening to it when on internet. All those great hits from our youth and days gone bye. I haven't heard that accent since I left Afghanistan years ago. Thanks for info.

vdub
07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
If you listen to the station very long, you will notice they have a penchant for playing two songs frequently; first is Banner Man by Blue Mink and the other is Even the Bad Times are Good by the Tremelos. Both Blue Mink and Tremelos are brit groups that must have made it big in the commonwealth, but never seemed to catch on here in the colonies. I hadn't heard either song before listening to the station. Both songs can be found on youtube.

The station currently has a "1st car" contest going on. I had entered, but didn't make the top ten. My car ('61 MGA, which I still have) was pictured for several weeks along with the other 150 or so entrants. They have now narrowed it down to 10 finalists. The finalists are here CLICK (http://www.thecoast.net.nz/photo-popup/love-your-car-with-turtle-wax-competition-finalists#David-Bevan-jpg2013-07-17T18-30-33) . I voted for #7 as they showed a particular amount of spunk, pluck, guts, kahuna's, etc, etc.... I'm sure their parents worried....

annekat
07-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I just put that NZ radio station link on my desktop.... sounds like fun. Those vintage cars are great, too....

Best of luck to those going through the earthquake mess.... I hope life is back to normal soon.

Geoff
07-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Phew!! Glad you guys are OK. :hug3: