PDA

View Full Version : Thin Skin

Jack
08-25-2010, 07:19 PM
The condition of my skin is starting to cause me problems now. It is so thin that the smallest knock will split it or peel back a flap. This, together with the Warfarin I take is leaving my hands looking a real mess of cuts and bruises. The problem is caused by the long term effects of Pred plus my poor diet, but does anyone know of anything that might help toughen it up a bit?

elephant
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Jack, I took care of many patients like us that had to be on prednisone for life. Your thin skin looks like what my patient looked like and they complained about it too. To my knowledge there is nothing that I can think of that will toughen your skin. The only thing I can think of is hand cream a really good one to protect your skin. Keep gloves in hand in harsh weather. You probably already do all this. I bet someone here has some good advice.

Sangye
08-26-2010, 12:44 AM
A vitamin C supplement will help strengthen connective tissue. Don't take a lot or you'll boost the immune system. Usually 1,000mg a day is safe.

eileenv
08-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Jack, i suffer from ezcema on my hand have done for year and the constant use of a steroid oinment as made my skin very fragile, to protect my hands i wear cotten gloves from the chemist around the house which protect them. The dermatoligist gave me double base gel for my lesions which i also wash in this helps my hands also as it is really miosterises them also protects them hopes this helps.

jola57
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry Jack but beyond good protective creams, I use glysomed, there is nothing available to help. Gloves are a good idea and offer protection agains small bumps. Just be very careful. I too remember my patients with see thru paper thin skin.