PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ladies

MCC
08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I just wondered how long (if ever) it took for your periods to return once you finished cyclo treatment?- if you had IV cyclo, I don't know how it works with the tablets? (I don't even know how long you take these for?).

I was told about 2 months after the cyclo and the injections to stop ovulation that I had...and if they haven't returned by then then maybe they never will as the treatment may have brought on early menopause.

misskay
08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm on the Oral Cytoxan at 150mg a day... my doc told me my periods would most likely stop during treatment (at least 6 months). Also said that they may never return and I could be sterile afterwards... but since my only child is almost 24 and I'm not planning on anymore (ready for grandbabies:) ) it really isn't an issue for me. I've been on the oral Cyt for about 7 weeks now, and had 1 period right after starting the chemo, but nothing since...

gwenllian111
08-23-2010, 06:27 AM
When I was 14, I had regular periods, but on Cytoxan for 3 months, my periods didn't come back for another 8 months therafter.

During my latest cyclo, I was giving 'ovarian protection' injections in order to induce temporary menopause, thus protecting my future fertility. It did work, as my 13 month old daughter will now testify.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Deanne Hull
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
oh what!!! you can get them back?, NOOOOoooooooo, i have got very used to life with out them....

Sangye
08-24-2010, 01:33 AM
LOL-- mine disappeared during my third month on ctx. Interestingly, last year hormone tests showed I was not in menopause. I haven't repeated them. They're not always accurate.

Luce
08-24-2010, 05:50 AM
I was on the depo provera contraceptive injection before I was diagnosed, and am still on it now.
I haven't had a period for nearly 10 years now (absolute heaven!) but because of this I have no idea if I'm still fertile. I'm hoping that because my reproductive system has been dormant for so long it may have avoided any damage. I won't know until I come off of the injections and start having periods again, then I can have a fertility test. I'm only 27 and do want children, unfortunately we couldn't freeze any eggs because the injection stopped me producing them and there was no way I could delay the cyclo until I got a period if I stopped the injection then.
So it was decided the best way was to keep up with contraception and just hope for the best.

On a side note and as hopefully only the ladies are reading this thread, does anyone know what could cause sore, tender nipples (no way I can be pregnant, as per the above!)?

Jack
08-24-2010, 06:09 AM
On a side note and as hopefully only the ladies are reading this thread,

Sangye
08-24-2010, 07:41 AM
LOL-- I wondered what you were going to say, Jack.

Luce, you should ask your gynecologist. There are several things that could be.

Luce
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Well now that's embarrassing Jack! :blushing:
I honestly thought the men would run a mile from this thread...

Thanks Sangye, I'm hoping it's nothing more than hormones but I'll get it checked out.

Deanne Hull
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Good to see a man in touch with his femine side :)

jola57
08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I had partial hystorectomy couple of years before so no problem there, but hot flashes hit with a vengence and 3 years later are still here, Tender nipples could mean a lot of things, if there is no discharge it may be due to the meds. It would be good to have a visit with either your family or a gynecologist.

gwenllian111
08-25-2010, 05:17 AM
I know this sounds silly, but i've heard that it is possible to have thrush there. Could it be that?

Luce
08-25-2010, 06:30 AM
I have no discharge so don't think it's serious. Gwenllian, I think you can get thrush there but usually when breastfeeding.
Also I think I'd have the telltale signs of thrush but everything looks normal, just a bit sensitive at the moment.

misskay
08-25-2010, 07:40 AM
ok... this may sound silly, but have you changed bras lately? Or been going braless? Changed detergent or fabric softener? Almost sounds like an abrasive issue...

Luce
08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
No new bra or change of washing regime, and I always go braless as soon as I get home (love the freedom!).
I have just had a week off work so have had a bit more freedom and I guess doing the housework that way could be considered to have caused a bit of friction but they didn't hurt at the time, it took almost a week if that was the cause.

Also, Jola mentioned it could be a reaction to meds but I've not changed anything except a drop down to 6mg pred from 7.5mg about 6 weeks ago.

elephant
08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I think because of the medicines that were on...esp prednisone can make your skin thinner. I think any type of friction in that area can cause sore nips.:blushing:

Adrina
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
i was diagnosed February 2010 with WG, and started the cyclo IV, i was told that i would not have a menstrual cycle during my 6 months period treatment until June 2010, but i had a cycle that came on time with a vengeance the entire 6 months, when i got off of the cyclo the next month my period did not return, and until this day August 2010 still no periods, my OB informed if it does not come back in 2 months to have another visit with her, they have pills to start your cycle. i'm praying to not get early menopause......

pberggren1
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I have sore nipples but it is due to the coughing:wink1::wink1:

Jack
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Shush! Don't let the girls know that we are here. :biggrin1:

pberggren1
09-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Shush! Don't let the girls know that we are here. :biggrin1:

Sorry Jack. I will try and be more quiet in the future.:tongue1::tongue1: