PDA

View Full Version : Thread Hijacking

Jack
08-18-2010, 07:08 AM
There is always a tendency for threads to drift a little and I'm sure many interesting points are raised that are off topic. Everyone also appreciates a bit of humour creeping in here and there. However, there have been some threads recently that have not only strayed, but they have never come back which is a shame for those interested in the subject. I've thought of commenting and held off because I don't want to upset people's enjoyment of using the Forum. So what is the answer?

Should we pass comment if a thread strays too far? Would it come over better in the form of a Smiley? :unsure:

Lightwarrior
08-18-2010, 07:40 AM
There is always a tendency for threads to drift a little and I'm sure many interesting points are raised that are off topic. Everyone also appreciates a bit of humour creeping in here and there. However, there have been some threads recently that have not only strayed, but they have never come back which is a shame for those interested in the subject. I've thought of commenting and held off because I don't want to upset people's enjoyment of using the Forum. So what is the answer?

Should we pass comment if a thread strays too far? Would it come over better in the form of a Smiley? :unsure:

Jack, gently re-direct. Maybe we could select a redirect smiley or just post a smiley preceded by the words Please Redirect? :confused:

misskay
08-18-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree with Lightwarrior, a gentle re-direct should work. I know that many times I've read something and want to refer back to it... but been unable to locate the thread due to the way our minds tend to wander off course.

elephant
08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Yea, I blame it on the prednisone. :0 Redirecting sounds good to me. I know I have wandered off course and even tripped and discussed something else. :)

marta
08-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm probably the biggest culprit, so if it's me Jack, please feel free to tell it like it is, no gentleness required, I do that in real life too.

Sangye
08-18-2010, 11:16 AM
No one has thrown their shoes at me when I've redirected them back to the thread topic, so I can't imagine anyone would throw footwear at you either, Jack! I like the reminders. :smile1:

JanW
08-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Agree all. Everyone please redirect as necessary.

Lightwarrior
08-19-2010, 12:29 AM
No one has thrown their shoes at me when I've redirected them back to the thread topic, so I can't imagine anyone would throw footwear at you either, Jack! I like the reminders. :smile1:

WIth the pred, I think I get off track also, that's why I suggested a "gentle" reminder. One note and then I'll gently remind myself. If anyone throws shoes at Jack they should be shoes that will provide him comfort and balance so he won't fall down anymore. (love you Jack :thumbup: )

andrew
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I made this. Might be useful..:thumbup:

:back on topic:

Sangye
08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
ROTFL-- how perfect! :lol:

Sean48
08-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Perfect.. I love it

Lightwarrior
08-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Perfect, Andrew, perfect :thumbup:

marta
08-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Andrew, you slay me.
Can you see him in a KGB interrogation before he became 'el presidente'? Eeeeek.