PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

Terry
11-03-2008, 03:22 AM
I asked this question elsewhere, but I think it got overlooked. Can any of your Weggie veterans tell me if brain fog is a part of this? Especially when I'm not on Prednisone, I truly feel like I'm just going through the motions and lose days in the process.

Second question, I'm having a horrible time with night sweats. It's very hard to feel rested in the morning. Is that a side effect of the Prednisone?

andrew
11-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Can any of your Weggie veterans tell me if brain fog is a part of this? Especially when I'm not on Prednisone, I truly feel like I'm just going through the motions and lose days in the process.

Absolutely positively. 'Brain fog' will be related to the Pred. I had it too. Got used to it after a while (or people got used to me being dozy).

Second question, I'm having a horrible time with night sweats. It's very hard to feel rested in the morning. Is that a side effect of the Prednisone?

Insomnia, nights sweats are typical side-effects along with mood swings, weight gain, headaches, acne...the list goes on. Pred is good for us though!! :D

I actually enjoyed the insomnia. I've always thought sleep was a waste of time. Really!

Jack
11-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Yes to all the above, but the sweating seems to have stopped. I was laying on a towel and changing soaking night clothes at one stage!

I'm afraid that steroids come with a whole book full of side effects, most of which I've had during the past 20 years. But I'm still here and functioning!

Terry
11-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Andrew, would that I could do without the sleep! The problem I have is that I have another autoimmune disorder called fibromyalgia, and sleep is integral to my feeling good. Without sleep, the pain of fibro can really take over my life. As for the brain fog, surprisingly, it's worse for me when I'm not on Prednisone. It's as if I'm loopy on Prednisone, and go into hyper-loopy mode without it. I swear, I can't remember having bought things or paid bills. I've gone into a panic thinking I've forgotten to do it, and upon checking my records, I paid it, even if I don't remember doing it.:rolleyes:

andrew
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
It's as if I'm loopy on Prednisone, and go into hyper-loopy mode without it.

Keep with the hyper-loopy, it's more fun :)

Seriously though, in order to deal with the things you can't remember, keep up with a routine. Always leave your keys/purse/wallet in the same place. Get a calendar with big enough days marked to write in. When you pay a bill, arrange an appointment, anything really, mark it on the calendar. It's one single place where you can go if you forget if you did something. I still use these methods (well...my wife uses the calendar more than me!).

Carol
11-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Terry,
I have about 10 night sweats per night but I'm not sure if it's also because I am Menopause age. Things I have done to help - pure cotton sleepwear, with cotton sheets, a pure wool blanket and then a cotton duvet cover with SILK filling. I can then layer according to the temperature. I also like to have a glass of water each time I sweat and often do it as it begins. I feel quite agitated before it begins and the drinking helps and also aids rehydration with the sweating.
I find it best to always UNDERDRESS and feel cold most of the time. This is one womean who always felt the cold but now makes a conscious effort to feel cold on purpose. Drinking coffee always brings it on but I love my 2 a day so just put up with those ones.
Regards
Carol

Terry
11-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks, Carol. I've actually already employed most of your tactics. My sheets are all 100% cotton, as is my nightwear. What we have on the bed is a bit different from you. I have a 100% silk blanket that I use in spring and fall. In the winter, I replace it with a 100% wool blanket. Usually, the sheet and blanket are about all I can stand to cover myself with. My elderly mum lives with us and we have to run the heat higher than we both like. :D Whether wool or silk, our blanket is topped off with a down-filled duvet cover. DH loves to get under it all, but it's too warm for me.

The night sweats are coming and going now. But I am now into my 5th day of a migraine-like headache. *sigh* It's always something lately!

RCOSSIO
11-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Terry,

Yes the sweats are common at first...heck I thought I had a waterbed when I first started treatment.

As far as "brain-fog" I can't recall if I did. But if I could not recall then maybe I do have them.

Anyway...what was I saying...

jola57
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
how well I remember the sweats, now I get menapause hot flashes - only slightly better. I sleep under down duvet, lighter in summer heavier in winter, when hot flash comes I just throw things off and drink cold water. This helps flush my cyclo (back on for another 9 month stint and 60 mg pred), but sometimes I get up 3 times at night to go bathroom fun. Forgetful, ahhh what was I saying - just the other day I was looking for some cheques to deposit for my Mom, I swera thery were there, now I think that I must have deposited them already - must check the bank. sounds familiar? Mostly I do what Andrew does but in electronic way - I have a nice HTC Dimond touchcell (or rather had it was stolen yesterday) Thank God for this forum - we are all normal for us that is. Keep smiling don't let it get you down and count the blessings and wisdom that we have
Jola