Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methotrexate vs Imuran?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Methotrexate vs Imuran?

I'm going to start cytoxin infusions next week. My hair loss is already bad from the predisone or Imuran I don't know which. I'm really not looking forward to cytoxin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PattyL View Post
    I'm going to start cytoxin infusions next week. My hair loss is already bad from the predisone or Imuran I don't know which. I'm really not looking forward to cytoxin
    While you’re on cytoxan, stay hydrated and urinate whenever you need to. Don’t hold it in very long. Cytoxan is hard on the bladder. A longer term side effect can be bladder cancer. I was on cytoxan for 16 months ending in July 2012. No problems so far. I get a urinalysis every other month just see if anything is getting abnormal.

You may want to try taking folic acid to combat hair loss. I took it (1 mg/day) when I was on methotrexate. I didn’t lose any hair, but it did get coarser.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I'm going to try the folic acid. I have kidney involvement as well so I just hope the folic acid will be ok for me i'll check with dr. Did you have many side affects from the cytoxyn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PattyL View Post
    Thank you. I'm going to try the folic acid. I have kidney involvement as well so I just hope the folic acid will be ok for me i'll check with dr. Did you have many side affects from the cytoxyn?
    The only wegs med I had a major problem with was immuran. They didn’t do the enzyme test to see if I could metabolize it. I had a major flare that nearly killed me. Fortunately, I’ve recovered fully.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12