Thread: New Diagnosis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Diagnosis

Hello everyone!
    My name is Teri Raspanti. My family lives near Denver, Colorado. My 14 year old daughter was admitted to Children's Hospital on 3/16/17 with what we thought was pneumonia. For this being a rare disease and even more rare in children, the doctors diagnosed it fairly quickly. She developed pulmonary hemorrhage and was intubated. She was started on high dose IV steroids and Rituximab. She's had 2 rounds of 3 day plasmapheresis and her first Cytoxan. Those treatments and meds were not able to control the inflammation and she was put on VV ECMO to rest her lungs. Today is 3 weeks since she was admitted. We are finally seeing slow progress. We are hoping to wean her form the ventilator soon. I still can't believe all this is happening! Has anyone had a pulmonary hemorrhage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Teri and welcome to the forum.

It saddens me to hear that your daughter has been diagnosed. I hate when the kids are involved

I'm sorry that I cannot help with your question, but I will pray for your daughter, so that the ventilator can be removed soon.

It will be a bit tough on her for a little while, but with the proper medication, and your support, she will be doing well very soon.

There are many members in here, who are parents of children diagnosed with WG, and I hope they come along shortly to give you some advice.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trazz02 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    My name is Teri Raspanti. My family lives near Denver, Colorado. My 14 year old daughter was admitted to Children's Hospital on 3/16/17 with what we thought was pneumonia. For this being a rare disease and even more rare in children, the doctors diagnosed it fairly quickly. She developed pulmonary hemorrhage and was intubated. She was started on high dose IV steroids and Rituximab. She's had 2 rounds of 3 day plasmapheresis and her first Cytoxan. Those treatments and meds were not able to control the inflammation and she was put on VV ECMO to rest her lungs. Today is 3 weeks since she was admitted. We are finally seeing slow progress. We are hoping to wean her form the ventilator soon. I still can't believe all this is happening! Has anyone had a pulmonary hemorrhage?
    Did she cough up a lot of blood? Need transfusions for blood loss?
    Several of us have had similar treatments for similar symptoms but recovery tends to be much quicker for the younger than us seniors.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did, but mine was VERY MINOR. I was coughing up very small felcks of blood when I was first diagnosed. Doctors did tell me that I should be glad I didn't wait any longer.

Fortunately, I was only in the hospital for 10 days. Three weeks, WOW!

Give her our best and tell her that there is an entire on-line community thinking of her and we hope she starts feeling better soon!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My heart aches for your little girl! I was diagnosed at age 16, and i am now 32 and i have 2 children....they may tell you alot of scary stuff as they did me, but i will agree that the kiddos are better fighters for some reason. Hang in there, she can get better again! Make sure shes drinking lots of water while doing the cytoxan! something the dr really stressed to me and i didnt realize how important that was. Praying for you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Michelle, for the prayers! I definitely believe support from others who understand is so important!
    I think tomorrow is the big day! Keeping our fingers crossed...she will be so happy to be extubated!
    Tak care,
    Teri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She was coughing up blood and had a very low hemoglobin on admission. She's had several blood transfusions. I guess she does have age on her side! She's always been very healthy and athletic...
    Thank you!
    Teri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Mike! One day at a time...we're getting there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, since I'm new at this---how do I reply directly to a person's response? I'm getting lost in the thread!
    Teri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trazz02 View Post
    Ok, since I'm new at this---how do I reply directly to a person's response? I'm getting lost in the thread!
    Teri
    You press on "reply with quote" on the right side of the bar under the post that you want to quote.

My heart is going out to you and your daughter. We know few kids who have being in similar situations and have recovered. I am praying for your daughter. Please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast