Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lobectomy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lobectomy

Through some wonderful friends and their connections, we were able to get my husband to Mass General to see Dr. John Niles. For the first time since diagnosis I feel that we are finally headed in the right direction. Dr. Niles tweaked his meds and he is now on Cytoxan. Dr. hopes that once he is in remission, he can then have the lobectomy to remove the section of the lung with the cavitation. Has anyone had a lobectomy? I don't know what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had one, but was out cold. After the drugs wore off, had to keep it clean, bandaged, etc. Some soreness, but was healing well in 2 weeks. Doc didn't take a lot out, so there wasn't any breathing interference for me.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a 2x3x5 cm lung biopsy back in 2012 that definitively diagnosed my case. It took 6 days for the area to seal up again, so I had a chest tube all that time. I wound up with a "chemical plurodesis" to finally get the lung to stop leaking after the surgery.

I am sure not the same as a lobeectomy, but it wasn't fun for me. Ribs still hurt today where teh chest tube was if I have a good sneeze.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity and because I don't know the answer why are they doing a lobectomy for a cavitation. Once cavitated the nodule doesn't do anything else as far as I know.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    Out of curiosity and because I don't know the answer why are they doing a lobectomy for a cavitation. Once cavitated the nodule doesn't do anything else as far as I know.
    Except that they do heal, right?
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a partial right middle lobectomey done so they could dxed me. The needle biopsies weren't enough.Did take a while to heal ,I was in the hosp a few days,also with the chest tube.But took several weeks and pulmonary rehab before I felt better. Like Cindy,if they know what it is and they are treating it ,I don't see why the need for a lobectomy. If it were a nodule the meds should shrink it. But I am glad you were finally able to see a good dr. Has he seen many wg patients that you know of ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    Except that they do heal, right?
    Because I've had this disease in my lungs for so many years every time I get a CT there are old cavitated nodules. Malignant nodules can cavitate also, but the cell walls are thicker than benign. I have always assumed that when the nodule goes away it leaves a cavitation since I have my share of them. It's hard to find anything on it without sorting through the cancer stuff.

This is one explanation I found explaining cavitation.

• Cavitation – Lung nodules described as “cavitary,” meaning that the interior part of the nodule appears darker on x-rays, are more likely to be benign.

It sounds almost as if it's collapsed in on itself. I think by the time they get to the cavitating stage they are as healed as they are going to be, but lung tissue is also damaged. Phil probably has more insight on this than I. I have never worried about them after asking many years ago and told there is nothing to worry about. Which is why I posed the original question. Just curious. That should all be clear as mud.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a middle right lobectomy and upper right wedge resection back in May of 2011. It was before diagnosis and to rule out cancer. The tissue samples did show Weg’s. I also had another mass start showing up and increasing quickly. At the end of October 2013, I had to have another open lung surgery on the right lung and they found the mass to be a Desmoid tumor and not Weg's or cancer. This was a brutal surgery as they had to remove an area of 3 ribs that was about 4x4cm. They sewed a mesh patch to these 3 ribs to keep the good stuff in I guess. In addition to Weg’s and now also have Aggressive Fibromatosis.

The lobectomy was rough and I was in the hospital for 7 days and a complication of a collapsed lung. I’m a very active 41 year old and it wasn’t easy. I was told before my surgery that my Weg’s is in remission and down to 2mg prednisone daily and Bactrim every other day.

Bad News Alert- I have been in severe pain for the last two weeks and a news dense area and fluid is showing up on my right pleural space. I had a needle biopsy last week and it’s not a Desmoid tumor but Vasculitis…WEG’S.

I see my pulmonologist and Rheumatologist Thursday and hoping to get some answers and dread the Cytoxan talk. If two years straight on CTX didn’t keep me in remission but for a few months, what’s next.

Whomp...whomp...whomp!
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck